Original hinge pins don't fit in Integy bulkhead. What to do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexico

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
After busting the front skid plate and bulkhead on my S-Maxx, I went and got stronger replacement parts. The hinge pin holes on the bulkheads (Integy) are not threaded; I discovered this only after trying to screw one of the original pins in (bulkead comes with no pins).

So... what am I supposed to do here? Do they sell hinge pins to go with that bulkhead, or am I supposed to force the screw into the alloy bulkhead and "make" the thread? I searched the site for something related to this, but either I suck at searching, or there's nothing there.

I would ask the people at the LHS but they're closed by now, so I am relying on your knowledge. =)

Thanks for the help!

Mex

No, you can not use screw type hinge pins with aluminum bulks. You also want to use titanium, if you bend a steel hinge pin you will never get it out of the bulk head.

Heres a nice set of titanium hinge pins that will work with the aluminum bulks. They are held on by c-clips on each end.

Lunsford hinge pins.

As Nc said, get the Ti ones, I got a set of steel ones in my aluminum bulks right now I can't get out, and its a serious pain in the a$$. I like the clip ones better, I find they dont fall out as easy.

Bryson

Thanks for the help. When I bought the bulkhead I actually brought my beast into the LHS. Would've been nice if the guy there had advised me that I needed different hinge pins... Could've saved me a trip... :nono:

I really want to give one of the two LHS my business, but they make it kinda hard. When I bought the S-Maxx (last Saturday), two people, not one, but two, told me that I needed a battery pack to run the vehicle, and that it would only last 25-30 minutes. I thought it was pretty absurd since I was purchasing a nitro car, but hey, I thought they knew what they were talking about.

Just as I was about to buy 2 battery packs and a quick charger, the manager showed up and told me that I just needed one pack for the EZ-Start, not for the car itself, and that it would last quite a while, so I didn't need a quick charger. Oh, I wanted to slap the first two guys! I told them, "you guys almost made me buy 100 bucks worth of stuff I don't even need!", and one of them said, " we would've taken it back and given you a refund."

So like I said, they make it kinda hard to give them your money. :eek:

Lesson learned. First I'll do my research on the net, then I'll go and buy what I need. And if the staff at the LHS stays as "knowledgeable" as they've been, I may have to start shopping online instead.

G'night, y'all!

Mex

Were they also the ones responsible for selling you the Integy Bulks?
Let us know how long they last.

Were they also the ones responsible for selling you the Integy Bulks?
Let us know how long they last.

Oh! BURN! I totally agree there. I would make them buy back the bulkhead. Integy parts are total CRAP.

You live and learn... They had three bulkhead options: the original ones for 8 dollars (or something cheap like that), the Integy ones for $30, and then some purdy blue aluminum ones for $61. I wanted something stronger than stock. The guy told me the difference between the Integy ones and the purdy blue ones was pretty much that the Integy ones were a little heavier.

OK, so I'm stuck with a crappy bulkhead (I don't think I can return it since one of the screw holes is marked by me trying to screw in the original hinge pin). Here's the question: is that Integy bulkhead at least better than the stock one? 3-times-the-price better? I know the blue aluminum ones are going to be the better ones, but I'm not trying to build a $1500 tank (I won't be bashing the beast too hard), I'm just trying to replace weak stock parts as they break with something more durable, without breaking the bank.

Thanks!

Mex

Unfortunately Integy has a bad reputation for using very soft aluminum. They should be a bit better than the stock plastic ones, but three times better, I doubt it. This is one of those situations where you get what you pay for. If it was the same idiots that tried selling you stuff you did not need, then sold you these, that should have sent up a red flag. Remember, they are an Integy dealer, so they surely are NOT going to tell you that Integy uses soft weak aluminum. When they break or bend, spend the extra cash and get a good quality set, in the long run it will be cheaper than replacing the integey ones several times over. Next time ask before buying, we will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Thanks for the advice, NCNitro. Yeah, yesterday I just wanted to get it done. There are 2 LHS in this town, and I bought the bulkhead at the one I hadn 't done business with. They didn't turn out much better than th first one. I'll deal with this bulkhead for now.

Now, this is what I have going on: the bumper support that goes n between the bulkheads could not be installed because the screws don't fit into the new bulkhead. How important is that part? I'll probably end up getting longer screws that fit the bulkhead's thread so that I can put that part in, but knowing my late luck, there's a chance neither store will have them in stock.

Thanksfor the help.

Mex

You definately need those in there, you dont want to run without them as it will be much easier to bend or break the new bulkheads since the outsides will be able to collapse without the braces in there.

also without those braces you wont be able to mount the bumpers either.

You definately need those in there, you dont want to run without them as it will be much easier to bend or break the new bulkheads since the outsides will be able to collapse without the braces in there.

also without those braces you wont be able to mount the bumpers either.

I see what you're saying. I was actually able to mount the bumper because the bulkhead has thread on the bumper holes (that's the reason why I wasn't ableto pass the original screws through). Without the "core" piece though, I see how the bulkheads would bend inwards easier. Another trip to the good ol' LHS. I may move closer to them. ;)

Mex

Do yourself a huge favor, and order one of these kits...
http://www.teamfasteddy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=257_289&products_id=1351

I have to say, it's one of the best screw kits I've ever seen... and... the shipping is FAST....

Thanks, ImBroken. If those screws replace the original ones, then the ones I need won't be there, since the thread on the bulkhead calls for a different screw (very tight thread, as opposed to the very open thread on the original screws). I may still get the kit, but first I need to figure out a way to mount the whole bumper. I may end up attempting to re-thread the bulkhead if I don't find the right screws.

Anybody else has run into this particular situation? Do the other aftermarket aluminum bulkheads accept the original bumper screws?

Thanks.

Mex

Thanks, ImBroken. If those screws replace the original ones, then the ones I need won't be there, since the thread on the bulkhead calls for a different screw (very tight thread, as opposed to the very open thread on the original screws). I may still get the kit, but first I need to figure out a way to mount the whole bumper. I may end up attempting to re-thread the bulkhead if I don't find the right screws.
Mex

That screw kit I linked has all the screws you want. They are all a tight metric thread, and will screw right into your bulks.

Back