Older redcat str vx16. Motor swap?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joebegsmaxx2.5

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Just picked up an older super clean redcat str vx16 on road from a guy for 30 bucks. He didn't know what was wrong with it. I adjusted the throttle rod barrels, cleaned out the gel fuel tank, added some 30/10 and she fired right up. Anyway I was wondering if it would be worth it to put a vx18 in the car or go with something else entirely.

Both the vx16 and 18 are discontinued. I would avoid them for that reason. If you can get spare pistons and sleeves, Id get a set or two plus a carb and a bearing set. Parts will get harder with time.

Since it appears to be a hpi clone, I would go with a traxxas pro.15 or hpi t15, or for more power, a traxxas 3.3, maybe even a losi 3.4 there may be other options also.

Make sure to check motor mounts. If you use a standard mount engine, you may need a tmaxx type mount for the chassis.

Hpi screws into the block from under the chassis, very different then alot of other brands.

Both the vx16 and 18 are discontinued. I would avoid them for that reason. If you can get spare pistons and sleeves, Id get a set or two plus a carb and a bearing set. Parts will get harder with time.

Since it appears to be a hpi clone, I would go with a traxxas pro.15 or hpi t15, or for more power, a traxxas 3.3, maybe even a losi 3.4 there may be other options also.

Make sure to check motor mounts. If you use a standard mount engine, you may need a tmaxx type mount for the chassis.

Hpi screws into the block from under the chassis, very different then alot of other brands.
Thanks a lot. I'll look into. I had a very good feeling these vx16/18 were not that good but at the same time have no idea what could take its place. I have a brand new back trx 2.5 for my tmaxx and I wonder if it will bolt right up with maybe a mount change and what not

Thanks a lot. I'll look into. I had a very good feeling these vx16/18 were not that good but at the same time have no idea what could take its place. I have a brand new back trx 2.5 for my tmaxx and I wonder if it will bolt right up with maybe a mount change and what not
Only thing would be the cooling head may poke out. You may need a hatchback body to protect it. That motor should toss it around.

The only issue I would think would be a different air filter neck and a pipe and header.

Only thing would be the cooling head may poke out. You may need a hatchback body to protect it. That motor should toss it around.

The only issue I would think would be a different air filter neck and a pipe and header.
True. I have a stock pipe and header for the tmaxx 2.5 as well as the air filter. I think I would need a carb though

3.3 is rear exit exhaust, but would make a 1/10 on road car scream! I have the same redcat STR, you can put any engine that will utilize the stock mounts (most engines) the stock mounts accept standard size as well as big block engines. The SH-18 is a budget friendly engine that has good parts availability. If you go to rear exit exhaust (big block) you should be able to figure a way to mount the exhaust. HPI g3.0 would be an excellent option. Parts are good, engine is strong, and has different starter systems.

I just got a VX18 a few weeks back. Runs great.

Is HSP getting out of nitro entirely?
Wondering if I should just buy a few spare engines, before they are gone from the market.

Thanks

I just got a VX18 a few weeks back. Runs great.

Is HSP getting out of nitro entirely?
Wondering if I should just buy a few spare engines, before they are gone from the market.

Thanks
I have no idea. I have quite a few traxxas nitros, an ofna in parts, and 3 hpi nitros.

According to RedCat, both vx were discontinued. If I were you, I would buy a few motors, maybe even some pistons and sleeves, a spare conrod or two and also carbs.

Hsp motors:
http://www.hspracing.com/product_view.asp?id=940

The only vx lineup I can find is from RedCat, and its listed as discontinued.
https://www.redcat.toys/Redcat-Racing-VX-18-VX-18-Nitro-Engine-VX-18-p/vx-18.htm

New vx 16 $69

Btw.

Remember Duratrax Torq .16?

Vertex.

How do you like them? I got 5 nitro chassis and I'm not wanting to hear the same motor!
Mine runs excellent and sounds good. Sat on some guys shelf long enough for the fuel to turn to jello. Cleaned out the tank and the thing rips so far. VX16

Back