OLD Vintage Tires for Futaba Safari 1/8 buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAVAGETITAN

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
Does anyone have the ability to 3D replicate rubber tires for 1/8 scale buggies? I've got some Kyosho 1/8 2wd and some 4wd, as well as the Futaba 2wd 1/8 Safari buggies that need tires. Now I've probably got 1 (one) of each tire that would be suitable for making a replica of, the others were so flat spotted and cracked, worn and missing, the are toast. If I knew enough about the 3D printers and scanners, I'd try it myself. Again any help would be appreciated. Thx

Have you tried contacting any tire manufacturers directly? They may have what you are looking for or have your answers at least.

I'm not sure which tire manufacturers you mean? Like Proline? I'm not sure what tire manufacturers were around in the early to mid 1970's, so I have no idea of any that might have made any for these obsolete and rare buggies. All of mine appear to be made from Futaba and each model needs new tires. My Kyosho's for that matter need new tires as well. These tires are not like todays tires. these have a taller sidewall less curvature to the tread, more like a real miniature tire. These rims are a special clamshell style that are metal and intended to hold the air in the tire, the buggy is quite heavy three to four times the weight of a modern machine.

Yes, I am referring to proline. Proline has been around for a LONG TIME. I am familiar with the oldshool wheels and the way they were assembled being totally different than today's tires. I did not run one as heavy as yours but back in the day, a LOT of is ran tires similar to yours. RC10s were close as were a lot of tamiya. Both of which I still own an look at with fond memories. Due to lack of parts or my unwillingness to beat up chassis run on carpet only etc... I won't run them any more. At any rate, is old timers do remember what you're talking about. If you are lucky, there will still be a few of the older guys who will know just what you need. A detailed description, pics etc in an email or 2 May get you just what you need. I wouldn't necessarily count the newer manufacturers out as some of the old tire sizes and re-releases create demand for options. Even if they aren't new tech. :rolex:

OK but this is 1/8 scale, not 1/10 scale I'm charging my camera as I type this. I can get a pic of the tire easy enough, the motor I'm thinking I can get fairly close pic with a mini light, bore inspection camera is on order! I'm kind of doubting if there ever was anything made for this, I've never heard of any nor seen any, on ebay atleast. What might fit the Kyosho 2wd 1/8 scale buggies might fit, as I need fronts and rears.

I was looking at the Spiral on line and saw that the tires on it were stamped with 'goodyear' proline did the same when they made the rc10 tire. Associated also had a number of 1/8 scalers. I think you're on the right track. A couple pics of the wheel and tire all broke down would likely help proline. Who knows, maybe someone will see it here and know it bang off the top of their head!? I would try this route of I was in the same situation. Really, what have you got to lose by asking? I know Imex was another older tire manufacturer. I don't know if they were as old as proline, not do I know if they are around now. Just a thought.

Hi! ? how did this go? I’m looking for the front and rear tires to an futaba safari buggy myself. I’m also looking for one rear rim. ?

Sorry I know my response is like a year later, shows how often I use forums. Well I could really use those tires still. I contacted Proline no help there, Imex is barely in business and I don't remember getting a response. I did pu some for 1 of my Kyosho's. There was a guy out of Iraq, no b.s. and he replicated some of the Kyosho tires that I bought more than a year ago for my 1/8 4wd's. He sold on that other site. Still looking thx!

Back