old nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe7404

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i have a batch of 54% nitro i mixed last year. i think its 1 1/2 years old. only 20 oz. it smells bad bad. my Q is what changes to cause it to smell so bad? my hobby shop owner wants to try some 50%.

It doesn't smell like it did last year? How bad is bad?
well it smells like old gasoline. one thing i think happens with old fuel is that the lower / lighter fractions of volatilals boil off. and you are left with heaver fractions. I.E. closer to straight crud.

Nitro fuels can loose their punch very quickly if they are not stored in a totally air tight container, metal preferred.
A local flying club member used to mix and sell fuel, and one day he was unable to keep his own plane running. I thought it sounded like a fuel problem so I offered him a tank of mine. His engine started and ran normally. Turns out he didn't use a bladder in his fuel drum and every time it dispensed fuel the hot humid air would be sucked in, evaporating the volatiles and condensing water in the mix.

Nitro fuels can loose their punch very quickly if they are not stored in a totally air tight container, metal preferred.
A local flying club member used to mix and sell fuel, and one day he was unable to keep his own plane running. I thought it sounded like a fuel problem so I offered him a tank of mine. His engine started and ran normally. Turns out he didn't use a bladder in his fuel drum and every time it dispensed fuel the hot humid air would be sucked in, evaporating the volatiles and condensing water in the mix.
great story rolex. it does make since. my old nitro is in a plastic jar. but i have no way to know about sealed enough to keep water out. ill bet its no good now. would a simple burn in open, test give me more info?

An open Nitro fuel can last over a year (and usually make smell after that) but un opened can last 3to 5 years.

Back