ok I've hit my breaking point... vent time...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don mercier

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
arrma should call their 3s lineup 2s. and warn people if they do run 3s that every fkn thing will break. first off they put a 7kg servo in a off road vechle second ...then they put open bearings on something that goes in dirt and water. third they put an esc that overheats in ten mins on 3s. plastic pivot balls don't last a week before they are so loose you can't even drive a straight line. but hey you can launch them 20 feet for 20 mins on YouTube . people buy these thinking they are going to last. bull crap. the only thing stock on my rig is the chassis and gears. and i bet they will be the next thing I change

Well it’s a hit and miss of how they hold up. I’ve seen a few arrma’s where I run and seems like they can take a pretty good beating. I’m sure there’s areas too up grade part of the hobby. and by the sounds of it all the work you have done just makes it more bulletproof.

Well it’s a hit and miss of how they hold up. I’ve seen a few arrma’s where I run and seems like they can take a pretty good beating. I’m sure there’s areas too up grade part of the hobby. and by the sounds of it all the work you have done just makes it more bulletproof.
1500$ on a so called 3s is rediculess

1500$ on a so called 3s is rediculess
I haven't even been jumping it just ripping on the road and on the grass around the house. I've changed my esc twice two servos. my steering was so sloppy right out of the box. the shocks all leaked but one. my pivot balls fell right out on the steeing link. bearing's locked right up in the spindle and just about turn blue from the heat. all in the first month I owned it

I haven't even been jumping it just ripping on the road and on the grass around the house. I've changed my esc twice two servos. my steering was so sloppy right out of the box. the shocks all leaked but one. my pivot balls fell right out on the steeing link. bearing's locked right up in the spindle and just about turn blue from the heat. all in the first month I owned it
the only way they last is if they run it on 2s

Sounds like a lot in just a short period of time. Usually Horizon is pretty good with there customer support on the products for warranties. Over all I’m not a big fan of arrma’s products but that’s just my opinion and what my use is for.

1) Stock servos in RTRS are always crappy,, even in their 6s line and from any company you buy. First thing I replaced in my Talion and both my traxxas stock servos went on me in a matter of weeks.
2) Just because they advertise the vehicle has waterproof elements doesn't mean it's "supposed to go in water." Metal shielded bearings are still better than plastic bushing most other vehicles similarly priced from other companies come with and will last if you clean and maintain them properly.
3) ESC Overheats on 3s and can only be run on 2s? Did you not post a picture of your truck in this very forum stating "3s Senton on 4s." Perhaps that caused the issue. Could also attest to your pivot balls wearing out so fast and possibly even your electrical problems.
1557892229178.png
4) Your $$$ spent amount is kinda high there bud, specially due to the fact you have completely unnecessary aluminum parts on there and from the date you purchased it, Horizon should have covered the electronics under warranty. You never want to put Al a-arms on a plastic chassis. You want the arms to break if need be because they are cheap and easy to replace, not have weak spots after them, possibly breaking something else.

1) Stock servos in RTRS are always crappy,, even in their 6s line and from any company you buy. First thing I replaced in my Talion and both my traxxas stock servos went on me in a matter of weeks.
2) Just because they advertise the vehicle has waterproof elements doesn't mean it's "supposed to go in water." Metal shielded bearings are still better than plastic bushing most other vehicles similarly priced from other companies come with and will last if you clean and maintain them properly.
3) ESC Overheats on 3s and can only be run on 2s? Did you not post a picture of your truck in this very forum stating "3s Senton on 4s." Perhaps that caused the issue. Could also attest to your pivot balls wearing out so fast and possibly even your electrical problems.
View attachment 118885
4) Your $$$ spent amount is kinda high there bud, specially due to the fact you have completely unnecessary aluminum parts on there and from the date you purchased it, Horizon should have covered the electronics under warranty. You never want to put Al a-arms on a plastic chassis. You want the arms to break if need be because they are cheap and easy to replace, not have weak spots after them, possibly breaking something else.
yea your right. the a arm were a bad idea. and for the past week or so i put my stock arms back on. yes it's a 4s esc but i never ran more than 3s 35c with it. my rig weighs about 7lbs less than a pound heavier. all the crap that wore out was pretty much in the first month on 2s

View attachment 118885
yea your right. the a arm were a bad idea. and for the past week or so i put my stock arms back on. yes it's a 4s esc but i never ran more than 3s 35c with it. my rig weighs about 7lbs less than a pound heavier. all the crap that wore out was pretty much in the first month on 2s
what got to me lastnight i's that bearing carrier for the center drive shafts. ... pulled out the shaft and once I pulled out the motor it clipped that bearing mount and i broke it again fk sakes. they are so fragile

As has been already mentioned, RTR servos are cheap as can be.

So you added a bunch of aluminum upgrades, which add weight. Did you re-gear the rig to account for the extra weight. Did you use a temp gun to take motor/ESC temps and tune gearing using this method?

Doesn't matter what bearings you have, if you run in mud, muck, sand, water, etc., you will need to tear down the rig and clean all the bearings and re-lube them. Unless you want to spend almost as much on bearings as you did on the rig by buying high end truly sealed bearings that is.

As has been already mentioned, RTR servos are cheap as can be.

So you added a bunch of aluminum upgrades, which add weight. Did you re-gear the rig to account for the extra weight. Did you use a temp gun to take motor/ESC temps and tune gearing using this method?

Doesn't matter what bearings you have, if you run in mud, muck, sand, water, etc., you will need to tear down the rig and clean all the bearings and re-lube them. Unless you want to spend almost as much on bearings as you did on the rig by buying high end truly sealed bearings that is.
ya its geared right. the overheating issue is gone now. I put a new esc in it and removed the aluminum a arms and only run on 3s

arrma should call their 3s lineup 2s. and warn people if they do run 3s that every fkn thing will break. first off they put a 7kg servo in a off road vechle second ...then they put open bearings on something that goes in dirt and water. third they put an esc that overheats in ten mins on 3s. plastic pivot balls don't last a week before they are so loose you can't even drive a straight line. but hey you can launch them 20 feet for 20 mins on YouTube . people buy these thinking they are going to last. bull crap. the only thing stock on my rig is the chassis and gears. and i bet they will be the next thing I change
[/QUOTE
and i dont run 4s in it even thou it can take it. all these things wore out in the first month before I changed it to aluminum. it was cheaper to buy aluminum turn buckles than to buy aluminum ones with steAl pivot balls. its less than a lb heavier than stock. stock is 6.5 and its 7.2

Holy s**t, how did you spend 1500$ on it? Seriously, I'm actually interested, this is a TON of money.

And to be honest, although some of your complaints are true, I actually really like the 3S Line (I have a BRCC).
I had this truck since maybe November or December last Year and have putten about 30 Lipos through it...from witch 25 were 3S packs.
-Servo: I can't say anything about it, never used the car with it. But it does the work in my Stampede 2wd, even though very slow.
-Bearings: This is where I am 100% on your side. But every car has some kind of flaw (although, a flaw is a flaw). And to all who say that you have to service the bearings nethertheless...yes you are right, but rubber sealed bearings will hold up longer before you need to service them and would be better suited for an Offroader. And honestly, they can't be that much more expensive.
-Pivot Balls: Well, is the stearing sloppy? Yes. Did it really bother me? No. Could it be improved? Sure.
-Shocks: This is where I start to disagree. Did they leak on me? Yes. Once. In December. Since I rebuild them, I had not a single one leaking. Horizon even send me 2 Shock Rebuild Kits and a bottle of Shock Oil for free. Since then, they have survived some Offroad Bashing and a few Packs at the Skate Park without a Problem. (Of course they shouldn't leak in the first place, but I don't see it as a big problem)
-ESC: I heard people complain about it, but I am pretty happy with it. The first one went out after not even 10 packs, but Horizon replaced it for free. After that, I ran at least 20 3S Packs through it (mostly 2 packs directly after each other), on max punch setting, without it overheating once.
-Rest broken parts: Well...actually not that much. I had the Front Bumper and Wheelie Bar break once, but it took some solid crashes...but you have other ones on yours. I had 2 A-Arms and 4 Front Shock Shafts break, but every time in a solid crash (for example crashing into a tree while mid jump). Oh, I have stripped a Spur, but that was totally my fault (I had the Motor Screws come loose because forgot to locktite them after screwing the Motor back in. A little Rock stuck under the Motor, put it at an slight angle so the gears didn't align properly. I didn't get it at first and drove some packs like that...and even then the ESC didn't overheat).
The only other problem I had were stones stuck in the steering.

So lets be honest here, is the car perfect? Nope. Does it have flaws? Sure, like every other one, although that is a rather bad excuse.
To be honest, I understand your frustration, but I think it is a bit over the top to say that a car is not 3S ready because of some Bearings, Pivot Balls, and a underpowered servo. And if you have / had problems with the electronics I would try contacting Horizon / Arrma. They are pretty good with their warranty.

And seriously man, how have you spend 1500$, I really am curious? I've spend about 750€ on mine, but that is including a 70€ Servo, a 60€ Remote, 2 Sets of Tires (1 Louise and 1 Proline + 17mm adapters) and the T-Bone Front & Rear Bumper & Chassis Skid (with shipping to Germany & Customs).

Holy s**t, how did you spend 1500$ on it? Seriously, I'm actually interested, this is a TON of money.

And to be honest, although some of your complaints are true, I actually really like the 3S Line (I have a BRCC).
I had this truck since maybe November or December last Year and have putten about 30 Lipos through it...from witch 25 were 3S packs.
-Servo: I can't say anything about it, never used the car with it. But it does the work in my Stampede 2wd, even though very slow.
-Bearings: This is where I am 100% on your side. But every car has some kind of flaw (although, a flaw is a flaw). And to all who say that you have to service the bearings nethertheless...yes you are right, but rubber sealed bearings will hold up longer before you need to service them and would be better suited for an Offroader. And honestly, they can't be that much more expensive.
-Pivot Balls: Well, is the stearing sloppy? Yes. Did it really bother me? No. Could it be improved? Sure.
-Shocks: This is where I start to disagree. Did they leak on me? Yes. Once. In December. Since I rebuild them, I had not a single one leaking. Horizon even send me 2 Shock Rebuild Kits and a bottle of Shock Oil for free. Since then, they have survived some Offroad Bashing and a few Packs at the Skate Park without a Problem. (Of course they shouldn't leak in the first place, but I don't see it as a big problem)
-ESC: I heard people complain about it, but I am pretty happy with it. The first one went out after not even 10 packs, but Horizon replaced it for free. After that, I ran at least 20 3S Packs through it (mostly 2 packs directly after each other), on max punch setting, without it overheating once.
-Rest broken parts: Well...actually not that much. I had the Front Bumper and Wheelie Bar break once, but it took some solid crashes...but you have other ones on yours. I had 2 A-Arms and 4 Front Shock Shafts break, but every time in a solid crash (for example crashing into a tree while mid jump). Oh, I have stripped a Spur, but that was totally my fault (I had the Motor Screws come loose because forgot to locktite them after screwing the Motor back in. A little Rock stuck under the Motor, put it at an slight angle so the gears didn't align properly. I didn't get it at first and drove some packs like that...and even then the ESC didn't overheat).
The only other problem I had were stones stuck in the steering.

So lets be honest here, is the car perfect? Nope. Does it have flaws? Sure, like every other one, although that is a rather bad excuse.
To be honest, I understand your frustration, but I think it is a bit over the top to say that a car is not 3S ready because of some Bearings, Pivot Balls, and a underpowered servo. And if you have / had problems with the electronics I would try contacting Horizon / Arrma. They are pretty good with their warranty.

And seriously man, how have you spend 1500$, I really am curious? I've spend about 750€ on mine, but that is including a 70€ Servo, a 60€ Remote, 2 Sets of Tires (1 Louise and 1 Proline + 17mm adapters) and the T-Bone Front & Rear Bumper & Chassis Skid (with shipping to Germany & Customs).
oh I'm sure if I took away cost of shipping it would be closer to 1000. right off the bat. I walkyd out of my lhs with 550 bill. truck 399+ tax battery 89$ +tax charger 45$+tax. then I broke my bumper my fault.... tbone bumper 28 plus tax and duty. Horizon sent me a new esc cost 15$ shipping. my stock tires hot a hole in one bought duratrax Mt. 105$. they got a hole. bought typhone h20 wheels and tires. and hex 17mm. 165$ tires and shipping. hexe's 48$ +shipping 16$. hr steering bell crank 50$ bearings 40$ hr shocks 70$ and 40. front and rear. Hobbywing esc 95$ plus customs 25$. rear bearing hub 40. shock mounts front and rear 50$ front c hubs 40$. servo 40$ Steering links and turn buckles 40$. and I've bought aluminum a arms bad idea. 80. I've also got a new motor on its way 100

oh I'm sure if I took away cost of shipping it would be closer to 1000. right off the bat. I walkyd out of my lhs with 550 bill. truck 399+ tax battery 89$ +tax charger 45$+tax. then I broke my bumper my fault.... tbone bumper 28 plus tax and duty. Horizon sent me a new esc cost 15$ shipping. my stock tires hot a hole in one bought duratrax Mt. 105$. they got a hole. bought typhone h20 wheels and tires. and hex 17mm. 165$ tires and shipping. hexe's 48$ +shipping 16$. hr steering bell crank 50$ bearings 40$ hr shocks 70$ and 40. front and rear. Hobbywing esc 95$ plus customs 25$. rear bearing hub 40. shock mounts front and rear 50$ front c hubs 40$. servo 40$ Steering links and turn buckles 40$. and I've bought aluminum a arms bad idea. 80. I've also got a new motor on its way 100
ist bullit proof now

Are you buying replacement stock parts or are you buying actual brand name hop-ups?

Normally ,folks change to aftermarket hop-up parts when the stock one wear out or break!
yes and no. my steering was really sloppy and haRd to drive. my shocks all leaked. my esc capped out twice I wanted more shshock adjustment's so i got shock mounts my bearings were seizing up. and my motor gets hot so i got a 3150 kv motor see how that goes

yes and no. my steering was really sloppy and haRd to drive. my shocks all leaked. my esc capped out twice I wanted more shshock adjustment's so i got shock mounts my bearings were seizing up. and my motor gets hot so i got a 3150 kv motor see how that goes

Ah ,ok ,well ,usually us bashers are proud to break stuff an love to show off are fancy expensive hop-up parts!....

Back