Ofna LD3

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

specter

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, I have made my decision I am going to get an OFNA LD3. I was going to get a GT, but since there are no tracks to race at so it would be kind of pointless. When I purchase this are there any need to knows about break in or things to replace?? I already know that the stock shock oil is the equivilent to baby oil and the tires are tractionless and the deadhead is highly underpowered, other than these three things is there anything else to replace. ( I'm getting the 2speed version)
thanx

Run like 4-5 tanks for break-in at just idle. Don't really mess with the low or high speed needles. Only mess with the low if it's about to die because it's way too rich...after 4-5 tanks, drive it around for 2-3 without going over half throttle, I personally drive at about 1/4 to 1/3 throttle...then it's fully broken in and you can start leaning it out and giving it hell.

If you want a lot of power, there's a lot of choices in good performance engines...

You here so much on how to break in an engine, it gets confusing. Here's how I break in my engines:

1st tank-run a circle or figure 8's at a quarter throttle for 2-3 mins. and gently brake at times. Shut it down and set piston to BDC (bottom dead center). Cool for 10 minutes. Keep repeating this procedure until the first tank is almost empty.

Tanks 2 and 3- use the same procedure as the 1st tank, but go up to half throttle, then gently braking. You can also lean out the engine about an 1/8 for every tank after the 1st.

Tank 4-6- same procedure as the previous but go up to 3/4 throttle

Remember, always set your piston at BDC after tanks.

Yeah I would def upgrade the rubber. The stock tires are ok but slip too much in a turn and once tuned right the stock mill will tend to spin them off the line.

I havent had any problem with the shock oil in my LD3. I'm still running the clear blue plastic shocks with the factory oil and it seems fine to me. Althought they are not threaded (plastic shocks) you can adjust the shock preload pretty easy by adding or removing shimms. It comes with about 5 diff size shims and you can double or triple them for the right amount of tension.

I found that the stock mill is a pain to keep running in the beginning butafter your 5-6th tank it should start first or second pull.

If you only got the single speed I would def upgrade to the 2. Ofna price list for the 2 speed is $110. doesn't come with instructions though.

I would also upgrade the radio tray to carbon or alum. I had a very minor crash and it flexed the alum bottom tray enough to pitch the drive shaft. I have heard that by changing the radio try it will add a bit more strength to the entire chassis for that car.

heres what I am going to order sometime this month all from stormer hobbies:

1. Ofna LD3 2 speed
2. Olfa Cirlcle cutter
3. Racers edge purple boost bottle (I know that they dont work
Its just for looks.)
4. HPI Honda prelude body
5. Cross racing White mesh wheels
6. HPI x radials
7. Pactra indy silver and pearl blue

Like I said hopefully I can get all this, this month if not theres always next month. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to paint my prelude body and mount the boost bottle so that it would look like a bottle of nitrous (nitrous sux real racers run all motor) I would like to mount the bottle on the rear left window bar (any suggestions??)
thanx

does anyone know if it is possible to use a marbilizing a technique on rc bodies I've seen it done on a real car but I did not know if it was possible if you could do it to an rc car since the paint goes on in the reverse order of full scale cars.

Back