OFNA LD3 Advice needed!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smurfola212

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey..Uh..007Kel saw a LD3 rtr kit with failsafe, radio equip, motor and car. I've kept my eye on the LD3 and I really think I might get it in the middle of may!:cheeky: Anyways, Can some pep give me the 411 on it? It looks like a great car to me:normal: Put in ur .02

Gracias and Asta Luego (sp)

De_Smurf

I like it better than the NTC3, the LD3 look like it's gonan be a good one....

I don't like cars that copy my car...DON'T GET IT, I'LL STILL OWN YOU!..j/k

Eh? Your car copied Tamiya's car.... OWNED!:jk:

I just got my LD3 broken in (1/2 gal 20%).

So far here are my thoughts....
1) If you have the extra $50 to get the 2speed kit with the failsafe..GET IT. I bought the single speed and it cost me $75 for the 2-speed gearbox and $20 for the failsafe...should be here tomorrow so I'll let you know how hard it is to upgrade. Also...get yourself a good set of Allen drivers. All screws require an allen wrench to remove.

2) The stock tires are ok but tend to allow for ALOT of understeer. I am a very aggressive driver and the car seems to just sliiiiiiiiiide forever before it goes around a tight corner. I've had some luck adjusting suspension and toe to get the rear end to kick around but noticed the biggest difference just by switching to some slicks. Foams are the next upgrade.

3) Fast. Straight line drag race for about 150 feet I've owned an HPI Super Nitro, RS4 3 SS, Ofna Pirate and T-Maxx. Was only 2 car lenths behind a Mugen mtx-2 because of the 2 speed. All cars stock.

4) In order to get the receiver/battery tray out of the car you have to dissasemble the front and rear shock tower.

5) Engine is a major pain to keep running during break in. It may have been my newbie-ness to nitro but I couldnt keep mine running until the 4th-5th tank.

and finally. It comes with a very cheap radio.

Overall I like it alot. I'm looking to change gear ratios around a bit and still need to tweak the suspension. I have a K&N airfilter on order. I'm prolly going to go with a lola body to help in the corners.

My $.02

The LD3 kit at Gizmo's in Burbank, CA says their LD3 comes with the 2 speed and failsafe already. I remember the sales guy telling me that as he compared it with the TC3 RTR.

wow! i just checked out the LD3 and i'm ready to order one. putting in some extra time at work this week to compensate :) anybody have any comments on comparing it to an rs4-3 SS?

Originally posted by RobRiguez
3) Fast. Straight line drag race for about 150 feet I've owned an HPI Super Nitro, RS4 3 SS, Ofna Pirate and T-Maxx. Was only 2 car lenths behind a Mugen mtx-2 because of the 2 speed. All cars stock.at a stock one

Already beat a stock one

Last edited:
I got LD3 Single Speed RTR
too. overall it's been great so far.
as someone mentioned, stock tire isn't that good.
Force12 redhead engine's been reliable.. Idles well. It is about on par with other sport engines under 1HP.