OFNA JL .28 Max 4-Port pipe and header options for maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scootr

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys

Can someone please chime in and suggest what pipe/header combos will fit the stock chassis and shock towers with this engine on a maxx? Or do ofna expect most to use the resonator?
And is there an ofna roto start for this engine?

Thanks.

Your really gonna want a bb pipe for this engine man, a small block pipe is not not gonna do it any justice at all

+1 with hotrod. You can run the traxxas resonator but it will perform much better with a BB setup. If your running the newer style maxx chassis you should have room to shoe horn in the BB pipe and header if not you may have to consider a 4 shock setup.

Agreed with the hulk....have you already bought the engine?...theres a handfull of really really good engines out there that are a more direct drop in

Have not purchased an engine yet, keen on the JL 28 tho. I have a 4907 and am not sure if the 1/8 scale pipe and headers will fit, as I have read mixed opinions. I have purchased a sb to bb adapter tho from Randy.

---------- Post added at 3:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 3:16 AM ----------

theres a handfull of really really good engines out there that are a more direct drop in

Have tried the OS 21 and it didnt work out for me. Never held a tune and would always cut out when the temp got over 195 f. Ended up blowing the conrod, probably from running too rich. In hindsight I dont think I got it hot enough during the break in. Maybe I should just rebuild the OS 21 and give it another shot?

I have read the new picco is more of a top end screamer, can be a bit finiky on the tune and has less down low torque than the 3.3.

can't fault the 3.3 tho, idles like a dream and screams at top end. So long as it is kept a little phat on the tune and the bearings are looked after they do go quite well.

Am chasing some thing with a little more down low torque tho.

Here is the rig a little while ago. I think the drive train should be strong enough for nothing too crazy.

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105093

Last edited:
I recommend the new Picco P1 .21 these engines are screamers! I currently am running one on a revo and one a #4910 maxx. My revo will lift the front end going into second gear! But not enough torque to strip the stock plastic gears in the trans. I have a friend running the Ofna .28 maxx engine with the BB pipe combo on his 3.3 revo, and I can take him all day with the Picco. I am still running a SB configuration on the pipe on my Picco also.

Thanks hulk. I have since installed the RR steel transmission anyway. A couple of questions about the picco..
Is the picco finiky on its tune?
Does it have more punch than the 3.3?

Thanks hulk. I have since installed the RR steel transmission anyway. A couple of questions about the picco..
Is the picco finiky on its tune?
Does it have more punch than the 3.3?

Both my Picco's were a bear to break in extremely tight compression. Had to preheat the engine to operating temp, to make starting easier, but I preheat all my new engines before break in. With a good tuned pipe I have never had any tuning issue's with either Picco engine on either rig. And yes the Picco has more torque than the stock traxxas 3.3 mill. I would never go back to the traxxas engines after running the Picco's.

Thanks hulk. Might have to try one. Appreciate the feedback boys.

Man those os engines normally survive several rebuilds man, maybe you just had an air leak,

They didn't design the JL .28 very well! it's suppose to be a big block but they put a small block exhaust port on it to run stock pipe...???:\
Go with the new picco all the way, with a ERCM 222sb pipe!You will have a rocket!!

Last edited:
They didn't design the JL .28 very well! it's suppose to be a big block but they put a small block exhaust port on it to run stock pipe...???:\
Go with the new picco all the way, with a ERCM 222sb pipe!You will have a rocket!!

Couldn't agree more with CKEITH on this one!

You wouldnt run a bb pipe with it ckeith?

You wouldnt run a bb pipe with it ckeith?

Nope the Picco .21 doesn't require a BB pipe as long as you have a good flowing tuned pipe that's all they need. I run the Trinity pipe on my revo and tried the BB adapter and header it ran better with the SB header and the chamber insert removed! I would think the 222 pipe would flow about perfect for these engines.

Is there a roto start backplate option for the new picco ?

Is there a roto start backplate option for the new picco ?

Any starter configuration should fit the Picco that fits the traxxas series engines. Thunder tiger make a nice roto starter, it's called a tiger drive.

Yep have ordered one. Will update it arrives.

Back