Off-road guy wanting an On-road

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro Nerd

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey all,

I have quite a few off-road racing vehicles, but have always wanted to get an on-road. Specifically an Xray RX8.

Here are my questions:
1. While my track has an on-road course--there is no class. However, I'm not too concerned even if I can't race it...as long as I can run it.
2. I want something that I can also run on a parking lot. I've heard the surface has to be extremely smooth 1/8 nitro on-road. Can this be off-set by tire choice...or will i have to make large setup changes?

I know some might think having an RX8 is overkill if I'm not going to race it...but again, really looking for one of the (if not the) best on-road nitro cars. Something wickedly fast, on rails, etc. If not the RX8...what would you recommend? Cost is NO object here.

Thanks

Hey all,

I have quite a few off-road racing vehicles, but have always wanted to get an on-road. Specifically an Xray RX8.

Here are my questions:
1. While my track has an on-road course--there is no class. However, I'm not too concerned even if I can't race it...as long as I can run it.
2. I want something that I can also run on a parking lot. I've heard the surface has to be extremely smooth 1/8 nitro on-road. Can this be off-set by tire choice...or will i have to make large setup changes?

I know some might think having an RX8 is overkill if I'm not going to race it...but again, really looking for one of the (if not the) best on-road nitro cars. Something wickedly fast, on rails, etc. If not the RX8...what would you recommend? Cost is NO object here.

Thanks

Most on-road cars are belt drive cars with the exception of the GT8 shaft cars which are buggies converted to on-road racing. GT8 cars are FUN and tough. All on-road cars run a 2 speed.

I raced 1/8 on-road for nearly 30 years and they can't be beat for shear speed and handling but unless the surface you are racing on is blown clean, the belts will pick up small pebbles and grains of sand that will very quickly wear out the belts and drive pulleys. Replacing the belts can be done at the track but it requires the removal of the radio tray on most cars.

Over the years I raced Mugen, Serpent, Kyosho, Delta, and SMP Slide cars. Serpent, Mugen and Kyosho still offer 1/8 scale cars if you want a new car or you can shop Ebay and the for sale forums for a used one.

NOTE- if you buy used make sure that parts are still available for the car you are purchasing.

2nd note - on-road cars are not a tough as off-road cars and if you have a crash there is a pretty good chance something will break so it is a good idea to have spare arms, belts, and pulleys. Also, foam tires wear out so it is a good idea to have an extra set of tires/wheels with you.

Servoes - I ran servos that had a transits time of about .10 and a torque rating of 150 in/oz or so. Metal gears are a must.

I hope this answered your questions.

Lee

Thanks, Lee. Yes, this helped. I own some of the brands you noted for off-road racing. My son is actually the racer (I just build them, fix them, do his setups, etc.). This is partly what intrigues me about on-road as it's a different way to set up vehicles (new challenges--even down to race tuning).

I guess my dillema is this:
1. I'd hate to shell out $1,200 for something that I can only run on an extremely smooth surface.

2. At the same time, I'd hate to spend $600 on something, only to wish I had purchased something better.

Hopefully that makes sense. ;) Thanks!

I'm just getting into VTA with an older design TC4 Club Racer chassis. It is an electric shaft-driven sedan running class-spec tires/electronics/body. I have about $600 tied up in it, but as a shafty, it isn't as finicky about small rocks and debris.

My qualifications are:
1. Nitro
2. Fast (and I mean wicked fast)
3. Moves around like a little whippet on a field.
4. 50% will be run on a track. 50% on semi-smooth surfacers. Want to change the setup < one hour for both.

I had an XTM terminator buggy(off-road) and I convert it to on-road. I just need to buy body mount from kyosho and a body shell that fits the size, and now am playing it very long time.. And I just change the tire and I put LRP .30 nitro engine.

---------- Post added at 9:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:31 AM ----------

here's the photo
DSC_0203.jpg

That looks sweet! Nice job.