O'Donnell is KING

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_savage

Hardcore RCTalk User
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So i picked up a traxxas slayer the other day and decided to fire it up and see what she had. I get everything ready and fire it up, nothing. I reset all of the needles to factory and i get it to fire up but its running erratic. I can't get the idle dialed in and it dies as soon as i pull the glow starter. I swap in a new LC3 and try again. No change. I spend around half an hour outside fiddling with it and its just being a pain. High idle, low idle, lotsa smoke, no smoke, dies easily, etc. Finally i am about to call it a day when i decide to try one more thing. I have been rationing my odonnell 30% since the savage drinks that stuff like there is no tomorrow and i can't get it locally. I pour out all the traxxas top fuel that he had in there and swap plugs to the medium LC4 instead of the hot LC3. I fire it up and watch as the remaining top fuel is consumed. I am telling you as soon as the o'donnell hit the carb it starting acting like it should have. I tweaked the idle, made a few minor adjustments on the hsn/lsn and i was done. It idled nice and low but smooth and then jumped off the pavement as soon as i gave it throttle. In 2 minutes i was out running on the street and this thing ROCKS!!

GO O'DONNELL

I concur. O'donnel is the best fuel I've ever used. I will say however, that the Model Technics Quick speed 25% I'm using now is a close second.

There you have it. traxxas fuel sucks! lol.

I run byron gen2 20% race fuel in my savage and it rocks too! I'll have to try o'donnell when i get the chance. I heard it wasn't as good at byron gen2 but still good fuel.

Last edited:
Odonnell is all I have used for years, I love the stuff. I used Trinity Monster before Odonnell, it was good too. Traxxas fuel is crap, I could never get anything to run right with that junk.

i liked trinity mhp but this odonnell is just amazing.

The only thing I don't like is the orange goo discharge, lol. But I will deal with it because of the performance of the fuel. I use it in my sons Traxxas 2.5 and that motor runs awesome on it too. It's all I run anymore.

Top Fuel never gave me a problem, but I noticed O'donnel's ran a touch smoother.

it was funny because a guy at the track said, oh man that stuff stinks. That must be crappy fuel. I said, well its odonnell. He said ooooo, nevermind.

It's a very distinct smell isn't it. :hehe:

And I kinda like it.

i have never had a problem with topfuel. i love it. I'm going to switch to byro though. i heard byron is the best.in all of my rc car mags people say it run cooler with the engine more lean.

I never had any problem with Top Fuel. As for smell,I think O'Donnell stinks. Top Fuel is the best for old school raw nitro smell unless they changed it in the last couple years. It's been that long since I ran it.

So i picked up a traxxas slayer the other day and decided to fire it up and see what she had. I get everything ready and fire it up, nothing. I reset all of the needles to factory and i get it to fire up but its running erratic. I can't get the idle dialed in and it dies as soon as i pull the glow starter. I swap in a new LC3 and try again. No change. I spend around half an hour outside fiddling with it and its just being a pain. High idle, low idle, lotsa smoke, no smoke, dies easily, etc. Finally i am about to call it a day when i decide to try one more thing. I have been rationing my odonnell 30% since the savage drinks that stuff like there is no tomorrow and i can't get it locally. I pour out all the traxxas top fuel that he had in there and swap plugs to the medium LC4 instead of the hot LC3. I fire it up and watch as the remaining top fuel is consumed. I am telling you as soon as the o'donnell hit the carb it starting acting like it should have. I tweaked the idle, made a few minor adjustments on the hsn/lsn and i was done. It idled nice and low but smooth and then jumped off the pavement as soon as i gave it throttle. In 2 minutes i was out running on the street and this thing ROCKS!!

GO O'DONNELL

I was at my lhs yesterday and they claimed that the higher oil content in traxxas fuel makes it harder to tune the engine. They recommened O'donnell or Byron.

i run trinity monster 20% never had a problem with it.