...number2withaBullitt...

• Thread starter number2withaBullitt
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

number2withaBullitt

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Friends, here's my hope:
I'm trying to achieve a specific goal,
which is to make an RC car for my
Brother that properly holds a custom
3D printed (by me) chassis.

I'm not-at-all an RC person. I'm
asking for help/recommendations
on the following:
- A ready-made purchasable stock
RC car that has a specific scale
and easy structure for me to
attach the custom printed
body (in this case, it's the
Bullitt '68 Fastback Mustang.

Thank You So Much.

What scale is your body? Also, are you looking for a road car? I would suggest a road car chassis because 3d printed bodies might not fair so well on anything that will potentially flip over.

If you are looking for a road car, and 1/10 scsle, I'd probably look at a Kyosho Fazer chassis. But there are others that might work as well. What is the wheelbase and track width?

And welcome to the forum đź‘‹

Last edited:
Thank You For The Response, Father of Breydon.
In my case, THINK SMALL...
...i am strictly hoping to make the toy-est of toys, it comes functional,
i know what is it's scale, i pop the top one, and send it to my Brother.

This is my only goal.

If you would be Kind enough, Mr. Fog, (if that is your real name), I would...

...seriously, so very appreciate the help. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Wicked, thanks, this is helping me define the project. Here's where I'm at:
- It comes down to me buying a bottom-of-the-line turnkey RC that I can
then apply a custom body. So for now I think my question is about any
recommendation for a fully functional and cheapo simple RC skeleton?

WPL C24 is a cheap crawler if you want a crawler.

Redcat makes some cheaper RC's. With no idea what scale you want, it's hard to say.

Wicked, thanks, this is helping me define the project. Here's where I'm at:
- It comes down to me buying a bottom-of-the-line turnkey RC that I can
then apply a custom body. So for now I think my question is about any
recommendation for a fully functional and cheapo simple RC skeleton?
I dont think to many people on here have 3D printed bodies for their RC cars so I'm not sure your going to get too many answers like "XYZ platform is the best for this". Main reason being is every time you wreck the RC you're going to destroy the 3D printed body. The people that I have seen 3D print bodies have done so on crawlers since they go slow. So you could possibly do it to something like a Traxxas TRX4, Axial SCX10 III, or the Element Ecto/Enduro/Hancho crawlers. If your wanting to do a mustang body thats going to need to go on a car of some sort like the aforementioned LaTrax Rally but again you're going to run in to the problem of potentially trashing the body every time you wreck.

Greywolf74 and WickedFog:
Thank You So Much! This project is taking shape. I of course have more questions to proceed.
For a non-RC car guy, I'm learning some basics and maybe becoming an RC car guy!
I'm already in to drones, so why not more directions?! Isn't that right WickedFog? ;)

Anyway, here's where I'm at:
I chose a kit to order, of which the basic description is this:
"4WD Electric RC Car Frame Chassis Kit With Transmitter For WPL D12 1/10" Please check it out.
If you don't see any caution signs or warning flags for me to hit the breaks on my order,
I'm going to speed right ahead.
(I'm clever, my Mom says so!)

TO BE CLEAR: I DO NOT HOLD YOU RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DECISIONS I MAKE.

So, the major issue for the custom body is acquiring mathematically accurate info or plans or better-yet-a-model for the mounting areas on the frame.
Do you know any resources? FYI, if I can pull this off a first time, I love any reason to 3D print, and would be excited to make you some custom shells...
I can also 3D design any weird thing you want, as long as it fits the frame mounts. And FYI, this is definitely not a bribe (unless you want it to be). :0

Thanks for the help guys, I'm having so much fun!

rccarkit.jpg

you're in territory I've never been in. The only thing I can say is that WPL is known to break....a lot. If I was going to do something like this Id prolly be looking to do it on a SCX10 III. If I remember correctly you said you wanted something very cheap though but you get what you pay for. If your easy with it and dont push the kit it may be ok, maybe not. It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

Oh yeah, definitely can't have enough RCs so might as well have some ground kits too :)

The trucks themselves are actually pretty durable since they only go a few mph at best. They aren't bad little crawlers considering how cheap they are. But I have no experience with that leaf spring based chassis. My B16 has leaf springs, and it does pretty good though.

Their transmitters and electronics aren't so great though. If it were me, I'd buy that minus the electronics and buy a Flysky GT3B radio system for it.

But if it were me, I would buy an SCX24. They are 1/24 scale, and printing a body for one would be that much easier since they are smaller.

The trucks themselves are actually pretty durable since they only go a few mph at best. They aren't bad little crawlers considering how cheap they are. But I have no experience with that leaf spring based chassis. My B16 has leaf springs, and it does pretty good though.

Their transmitters and electronics aren't so great though. If it were me, I'd buy that minus the electronics and buy a Flysky GT3B radio system for it.

But if it were me, I would buy an SCX24. They are 1/24 scale, and printing a body for one would be that much easier since they are smaller.
Thats true that is a crawler, not a go fast type of kit so the WPL will probably do fine. I was just thinking of all the folks that buy the go fast WPL kits and 2 days later theyre in here asking why XYZ stopped working on their kit.

Back