Noob cleaning question.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwx

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My truck is filthy, came to me that way, and I haven't done anything to help with the problem. Can I spray my truck off with "brake clean" to clean it up?

I know the long tuning guide says no, but I'm not sure why? Most common aerosol brake cleaners(like what you'll get from any chain store) are safe for most plastics/electronics even.

I'm also thinking about taking the truck apart to really give it a good cleaning, anybody have any tips for that?

The problem is it can melt paint and makes some plastics brittle. I admit I have done it too but I think the risk does not out-weigh the benefit. I would steer away from it but IT IS your truck.:D

Break cleaner is very corrosive it will pull the moisture out of your plastic causing it to become brittel. It will not happen immediately but over time it can take the strength out of your plastics.

I had picked up a used maxx just before x-mas and it was filthy too. With snow on the ground and needing parts I decided to to a complete tear down, clean and rebuild. Most everything wiped clean with a dry rag, but as I looked at both the front and rear assemblies I could foresee hours of tear down, tedious cleaning, and reassembly...
So I stuck both front and rear (fully assembled) in the dish washer with a bit of dish soap... Came out as clean as new.
Regards,
Rob.

Thanks guys. Anybody have any other recommendations as to what else to use? I've heard to use Denatured Alcohol in a spray bottle?

I would advice against submerging the whole front and back assemblies. You'll get water in bearings and in the diffs. Just take it apart to get at the places that q-tips can't get. If you pull the diffs out, make sure you put them back in the way they came out. Any used rigs could benefit from a diff inspection. Fresh grease and possibly a shim or two could prolong the life of these components substantially.

What all do I have to grease? Is there a write up on what to do and how to do it? What type of grease? I'm wondering what other Maintenance stuff I need to be doing.

Will the shims tighten up the diff any? I'd like to find something that would...

White, lithium grease packed in the diff-cup and a liberal amount on the ring and pinion do the trick. I can't really advise on the shims without physically seeing/feeling the mesh. One shim on the pinion shaft is usually in order if the diffs have a lot of use on them. But if it makes the mesh to tight, it could do more harm than good.

the best way i found is a nice bottle of windex a toothbrush and some papertowels. maybe a nice rinse with a spray bottle before the windex to get the heavy stuff off

I was wondering about Windex type stuff. I used denatured alcohol in a spray bottle for the main chassis, and watered down "purple power" to clean the front and back. Came out looking good. I'm planning on tearing the truck down when I finish burning through this quart of fuel that I bought. I might also try to tune the truck a bit before as well, since its running pretty rich I noticed.

I've been using a air compressor to clean my trucks for the longest time and have never been dissapointed. It's a worthwhile investment to save time, especially if you go bashing in dirty areas a lot, the compressor just blasts away grease and dirt off of everything

Oh, I have an air compressor. The stuff had just been on there so long, it needed a little something extra to get it off. Now that I have it mostly clean, my blow off gun should work for quick cleaning duties.

Yea a small tooth brush and an air compressor work pretty darn well

:hehe:Cap full of nitro, 10,000 q-tips some clean rags and a can of air is my carwash

:hehe:Cap full of nitro, 10,000 q-tips some clean rags and a can of air is my carwash
I couldn't have said it better myself hpi killer. That narrows it down. I've heard of a lot of people using simple green too. But I'm with killer on this one. Keep it easy. I just have fun tearing it apart!!!!:D

I couldn't have said it better myself hpi killer. That narrows it down. I've heard of a lot of people using simple green too. But I'm with killer on this one. Keep it easy. I just have fun tearing it apart!!!!:D

You just stole my thunder. I use a mixture 1 part Simple Green and 1 part denatured alcohol in a spray bottle. After that just wipe it down with some rags and it is good as new!

:Washington_National:redbuggy:

Windex

i like to spray it down with windex and then take an air compressor and blow it off. i also like to grab my brothers tooth brush and wash it off with the hose outside.:hehe:

i like to spray it down with windex and then take an air compressor and blow it off. i also like to grab my brothers tooth brush and wash it off with the hose outside.:hehe:

Haha if you used a hose you would end up with the frozed knuckle bearings, even though their sealed when i took my old 2.5 apart it must have gotten water that stayed down there and froze the bearings to the shafts lol.

Haha if you used a hose you would end up with the frozed knuckle bearings, even though their sealed when i took my old 2.5 apart it must have gotten water that stayed down there and froze the bearings to the shafts lol.

Oil anybody?

Back