Non starting T Maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandguy356

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OK, I'm new here as of yesterday, so go easy on me. I've had this T maxx for a little over a month, not even a gallon of fuel thru it. It was just off the break in when I got it. Its been sitting for 2 weeks and now it won't start. I changed out the glow plug, drained the fuel, made sure the ez start battery was charged up. Turns over nice, but just doesn't fire.
Any easy suggestions I can try??

new here too but are you priming carb by holding finger over muffler??
if so, trim the fuel by controller?pull air filter and look down carb and see the sleeve position ,by using fuel trim switch on remote set it so there is barely any gap btwn sleeve and housing

Last edited:
Ya tring to prime it and then post how it goes.

OK, pulled the glow plug and looked crappy so I went down and bought a replacement, non traxxas one. Put it in, held my finger over the exhaust and still no fire. I got pissed and didn't pull the air cleaner yet, I'll try that tomorrow.
Starting to think electric is in my future!!
Anyone interested in a T Maxx??

Don't give up man. I was like that when i first bought my maxx 3.3 four months ago. I can tune tht thing like there is no tomorrow now. Try tuning it. This here website is like my bible when it comes to questions regarding my MAXX. these guys are great. Once you get the maxx tuned it can bring so much fun. Tuning and breaking the thing is half the fun. Try adjusting ur needles. there is a forum about that. check it out

Put the engine at Stock Tuning Specs and go from there, do you run a fuel filter? Make sure it has no residue. Also be sure that your carb is absolutely clean! Unscrew your needle from the High Speed and check it out. But, the stock carb settings should at least get it to fire and you can go from there.

Your going to want to make sure that the carb is open enough for there to be enough air to get into the engine. You want about a 1 to 2mm gap for it to fire and idle. Put everything back at factory settings and go from there. Also, are you using the Traxxas EZ Start? And if so, are you using the blue wire for the glow plug? If so, cut it off and use an actual Glow Igniter. You might want to also make sure that the one way barring isn't slipping.

Don't give up. EVER. Tuning is part of this hobby. And once you get the just of it you will be driving like everyone else. The people here are great and can help you through almost everything.

Well, day 2 with no start. Seems like it wants to, its just not. Drained the fuel, got the carb adjusted like the pics describe in the newbie thread, I'm stumped. I figured with all that and the new glow plug it would fire right up, but noooo. I'm really up for any kind of electric swap right now, the slash is looking really good or maybe an E maxx.

Stupid Question, when you try and start it, are both lights on the e-z start lighting up?

Also, are you using the starting wand and blue wire still for igniting the glow plug? Sometimes the lights will light but the wand doesn't actually have enough power to get the plug hot enough to ignite the fuel. Have you tried using a real igniter?

Yep, guys I have the blue wire cut. I have a glow plug ignitor(?) that clamps onto the glow plug and the ez start battery deal. Seriously, anyone got an E maxx or any truck electric that wants to deal??

OK, Ez start plugs into a square deal with 4 posts towards the rear of the chassis, just behind rear body mounts. Glow plug "thing" clamps on to the top of the glow plug, causing it to heat. When I hit the button on the Ez start it turns the motor over and should fire, just right now its not.

Yeah but if you have the blue wire cut, your glow plug isnt fireng.

and you're still using your wand to try and power everything. Go down to your LHS and see if you can borrow a real igniter just to eliminate that as the issue. They'll probably also take a look at it for you. Keep is informed.