nitro truck from scratch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc-psycopath

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
should i (newbie) build a hard core nitro truck from scratch?

if you want to and if your handy with machinery...JMO

would it save me any money in the long run? i mean like buying all the parts from high quality manufactures like; hpi, traxxas, himoto, losi, and team associated. i am very very mechanically gifted so i can do stuff even my father an aircraft engine mechanic can't.

well uhm no!!! buying piece by piece is gonna make you spend probably like triple the amount cause i did it one time to see what the cost to build a nice revo and it was like piece by piece over 1300 but rtr is like 500 so in the long run, it depends on the truck our building...JMO

It depends on how much you really can make and how much value you put on your time. It's mechanically gifted you need, it machinably gifted like me :hehe:

Actually you can build one from the ground up using parts for not too expensive. You can go to the T-Maxx threads and see the one I just built (Project Maxx Self Destructon). It is a true monster.....I have around $500 (or a bit more) in it so far. That is not bad considering what it is if you ask me. Now if you buy all your parts from Tower Hobbies NIP; yes it will be crazy expensive. However, buying parts from here and E-Bay when you see a good deal it can be done reasonably. All it takes is a big of paitence and time.

thanx would i need to buy all parts for one model to make it or would it work if i bought them all from several diff manufacturers frickenjoey and racer 1996?

Last edited:
Ok I am not totally sure what you mean but I will answer for what I THINK you mean. Do they have to be from all one model? As in if you are building a T-Maxx do you need all Maxx parts? That is a yes and no question…..Yes most parts you need to stick to one model of vehicle. The parts don’t necessarily have to be all from Traxxas but some things you must have correct model. Driveline and most structural items would have to be T-Maxx. One thing about custom building is working through the little snags to get what you want. I am a decent custom builder and by the way I am also a jet engine mechanic as well. You seem to have a good bit to learn you may want to start with a RTR until you learn a bit more about these. Experience will tell you what you can and can’t do with a RC build.

Last edited:
oh cool. who do u work for? my father works for AA. last name of clark, would u happen to know him? and i have owned a nitro truck before; a redcat that didnt last too long and i think i know enough to get a bigger better model.

Last edited:
I am sure I don't know him, I am military and currently live in Japan so....
Anyway once you figure out what you want to build you need to put together a list of stuff you have for it and will need. Start from there and budget it.

Best I can tell, Joey's got your answers. If you want to build something,start with a kit. That way you've got the parts and a diagram of where they go. You'll definately need some experience to completely piece one together on your own.

ok thx for the help

i started ordering spare parts for my xl off e-bay and before long i had a complete truck minus mill for 350-400 bucks/

i started ordering spare parts for my xl off e-bay and before long i had a complete truck minus mill for 350-400 bucks/

I bought a brand new Savage X, started ordering alloy upgrade parts, and before long I had a complete truck for 2500 bucks.

you should buy a kit,

in a kit they usually give you better parts (better than RTR) and you assemble the whole thing yourself,

not sure why you'd want to search for every part piece by piece off the internet, but if you would find that fun then go for it

yeah just a couple of days ago i really started looking for a kit