Nitro Stampede

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
As some of you may know, I recently acquired my first Hobby-class RC car, a Nitro Stampede. Well, for the first time yesterday I got to really take it out and give her hell. I still haven't gotten it fine tuned, but I can tell it is running on the rich side, low speed needle seems to be about perfect (by using the pinch test) and it idles fine (I haven't touched the lsn or idle screw once). The only time it will move forward when idling is if I turn the throttle trim all the way up and then it's start inching and then picks up a little speed, it's not nudgy or pushy at all when the throttle trim is at 0.

I got to say, this thing is fast and mean. I took it to a local boatyard (closed on weekends), I live in a fishing (for lobster) community (My boss/captain was there however, he seemed to get a kick out of it). The terrain there is pretty fun, kinda gravely and very dusty. So my 'pede was spitting rocks, doing 360s, making huge dust clouds and rolling over occasionally (hehehe, woops). I suspect that once I get the needles (mainly the hsn) tuned in better I will be able to do doughnuts and wheelies easier. I was checking the temp every now and then after running it hard and it seems to be running very cool, despite the fact that it was hot yesterday and it was very dusty. The air filter got mucky, but I'm going to clean that before I use it next, too tired to do it last night, but I ran ARO through the carb. Speaking about ARO, when I put it in the carb, how long should I try to turn it over with the easy start? 3 to 4 3 sec bursts or is that too much/little? It was averaging about 100-140F, I thought these things ran at 200-260F. Is it because it's running rich? Where do you guys like to go to run your rc cars? Eventually I'm going to take it up to a gravel pit we have in my town, the piles up there that vary from 5' tall to 15', that will be lots of fun. What was the last RC adventure you guys had, I wanna hear some stories.

100-140 is WAY rich. Its not a horrible thing to run it real rich but you will lose some performance. The key is to get temps as low as possible with a solid amount of power. If your happy with the power output dont change anything. Some of the biggest keys to having a solid nitro IMO is always a clean airfilter (carry spares), an extra glowplug, and a sealed motor.

If your happy with the Stampede wait till you get an 1/8 with a bigblock nitro in it!!!

Yes it is way rich, the reason why I did that is because when I broke it in I did not have a heat gun so I was scared of running too lean and overheating the engine. Now that I have a heat gun I'm going to start leaning it out. I cannot wait to really see what this thing can do. I have been keeping the air filter clean and oiled, but I ran it for an hour or so yesterday and it got mucky and dirty so I'm gonna clean it out with soap and hot water and re-oil it thoroughly. I'm thinking about using it some more today, I could take it back up to the boat yard. I'm just scared to run into my captain and have to do some (unpaid) rope work and stuff for the boat. Normally it should be 200-260F right? is going over 260F overheating?

My Traxxas engines ran best between 260° and 280°.

Back