Nitro Rustler Transmission Issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandonsc77

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I need help!

I have been rebuilding my nitro rustler for almost a year now. Have swapped almost every part in this thing. It runs fantastic, but recently when I try to accelerate the engine revs but the car barely moves. This is what has been replaced so far:

All of the Clutch Bell assembly coming directly off the motor.
The entire transmission including the differential.
The entire slipper clutch assembly that comes off the transmission (with the little pegs and pressure plates)

I simply cannot think of anything else to swap at this point. Anyone have any ideas what may be causing this? I just want to go bash!

Thanks,

Brandon

Have you checked the gears inside the transmission. Something must have came off that prevent the gears from spinning or the teeth on the gears are stripped and not meshing. I know you mentioned the transmission but did you do a complete tear down to make sure no C clips are missing or a cog is missing. It make look intact but if Jose pieces are missing the gears won't spin correctly.

I did a full tear down yesterday. Didn't see anything broke. I did add some thicker grease inside the diff to see if that made a difference. Its very strange. Right after I put the transmission back together I can get 2 or 3 good runs up the driveway, but then it goes back to slipping. Doesn't feel like broke gears. It tries to pull, and will go slowly, but anything more then a quarter throttle just sends the engine revving and the car barely moves. :-/

On your slipper clutch did you tighten the bolt all the way and loosen it 1/4 of a turn?

On your slipper clutch did you tighten the bolt all the way and loosen it 1/4 of a turn?

I really feel like it is the slipper clutch, but I did do the adjustment just like that. All the slipper clutch parts have been replaced too. I'm truly at a loss...

Do you have a FOC or do you have reverse transmission? On my sons TMaxx I still have the reverse transmission. I did a tear down on it a couple of months ago and put some grease on the gears and it would do the exact same thing your Rustler is exhibiting. I tore down the transmission again and used the Traxxas website exploded view for the transmission to rebuild it. After the rebuild it worked fine again. I don't know what I did wrong the first time but after the second rebuild it works just fine now. I know that the washers for the reverse/forward gears need to be installed a certain way and if it's not done according to spec the gears will not engage/disengage correctly and get stuck on neutral. This was the only thing I can think of with the particular rebuild I did. It's possible this may be the same issue as yours.

My nitro rustler did that and it was the slipper clutch. I would tear down your slipper clutch and make sure everything is in order.

Does the Rustler trans. have the thrust washer inside the output cups like the old Rc10's do?
The old Rc10's an the Losi stadium trucks had the thrust washers in the drive cups that were tightened with a little
allen screw ,if they get worn or loosen ,it will cause that type of slippage!...:cool:

Please forgive the 'half of info here'. I recall reading about a 'directional' type of part within the slipper systems on some reads as models. These parts look very similar but one side is shaped slightly different (like one part is slightly cupped or similarly different) it is a minor difference and is apparently easily overlooked. I wish I could tell you more or where I read it, all I can say for sure is that I DEF did read it. As you do your next rebuild and or inspection, be extra careful to check for that slight difference! It turned out to be the fix in this particular case. I wish I had more for you! Good luck!

Back