Nitro Rustler 2.5 and Nitro Jato 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fraz1112

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have 3 R/Cs I haven’t messed with in a while, two of which are Nitro... they’re the older models, 2010ish.... and I’m contemplating a rebuild.... anyone have any suggestions?

Any way to test servos, any worthwhile upgrade/updates. Should I switch anything to aluminum? Is it worth trying to rebuild the engines or just do the Traxxas engine trade in thing? Stuff like that really, any info is much appreciated! I’ve also got an electric bandit that I put Novak motors and controls in, but from what I understand Novak doesn’t exist anymore lol.... thanks again for your time!

@Fraz1112 well for starters, I would at least give the nitro engines a good look through. Though it's been a while since they've last been ran, they may still very well be in good working condition. If not, then the Traxxas trade in program is hard to beat and would certainly be worth looking into.

As for upgrades. I'm an RPM fan as they make great products that are super tough and covered by a lifetime warranty. So replacing your stock a-arms, shock towers, and bulkheads would make both your Traxxas nitro jato and nitro rustler a lot more durable.

I rarely use aluminum all that much. While it might look neat, it almost always costs much more and will only weaken when it bends. So there isn't much in the way of aluminum upgrades I'd recommend right off the bat.

Unfortunately, yes we lost Novak a couple years ago. For the electric bandit you could upgrade to brushless using the Traxxas VXL-3s or a Hobbywing combo.

Outstanding, I really appreciate the thorough response... that should be enough to keep me busy a little while haha

I have a jato 2.5 as well. RPM does well on it, but then you can't run sway bars. If that doesn't bother you, get the arms. T-Bone makes a basher bumper that is better than the RPM one.

I got tired of dealing with traxxas engines and just stopped running it. It sat on the shelf for over a year without me running it and I converted it to electric. Now it's in my weekly rotation. I either take it and one of my MT's or my stampede 4x4 vxl and one of my MT's.

Does Traxxas sell a conversion kit for it or what did you use @olds97_lss?
No, I bought a mount and battery/receiver/esc plate on ebay from a guy in Greece. Took a while to get to me and I had to modify it a tiny bit for the slipper backplate to not hit it. But it was a fairly simple install.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-jato-electric-brushless-conversion-kit/263941950321

I also had to use a hot racing steel single speed gear set in the transmission. I'm still using the the stock plastic "diff" gear, but it's been holding up for over a year. I also got traxxas steel cvd's early on. I tried the traxxas plastic single speed conversion, but it didn't make it through my first 2S pack.

I also threw together a rear tower support as that was one of the things I broke frequently on the jato. Any rearward landing with the tower touching the ground would snap it.

2018-0517-eJato-TrenchersTop.jpg

I fried the 3500kv motor in it last weekend about 5 minutes into my first run. It was my 3rd or 4th run on 3S. Not sure why it died. I have a castle sidewinder sct sv3/3800kv combo coming in the mail tomorrow for it. Hoping it can handle 3S. Also hoping the same in my stampede 4x4 vxl can handle 3S. I've been told that's not a great combo to use with 3S... so time will tell.

Right.... haha I was actually about to ask how difficult it would be to convert the jato..... I’ll probably leave the rustler a nitro.... but next question, was converting it worth it in the end cost wise... or would I be better off just buying a new electric one lol?

Also- I know this is the Nitro section, but while I obviously have some well versed individuals..... can I run LiPos with the Novak brushless setup and if I can do y’all have any recommendations? I have like 9 NiMH battery packs but they’re all shot from what I can tell. Thanks again gents.

IMG_0001.JPG

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it so if I can I might just stick with that setup for now on the bandit.

@Fraz1112 one thing to be concerned about is if your ESC has a LiPo cut off feature or not, and in your case it looks like it does.

Otherwise you'd want to get an external low voltage alarm, which isn't a bad idea to have anyways.

Stupid question.... just saw that on the box lol.... [emoji848]

While I've enjoyed my ejato and making it brushless breathed new life into it for me, if the 4x4 rustler that just came out was around when I did mine, I would have just bought that and sold the jato for peanuts.

That said, the cost of the conversion wasn't that bad overall for me as I was using a spare esc/motor I had and I already had 2S lipos for my other trucks. So all I needed was a different spur, pinion and the $60 mount/battery-esc-receiver tray and a hold down strap. If at the time I had to also buy an esc/motor, then it would have been closer to a $200 conversion and I doubt I would have gone that far. I would have just bought a purpose built electric truck or something.

The jato is a bit unique as an electric 2wd in that the motor is in the center vs hanging off the rear. So, while it does wheelie a lot, it has the weight shifted forward moreso than most 2wd electric vehicles, which may explain why it's so durable. I launch this thing with reckless abandon and it just skips off the ground and keeps going.

I might have to do that

I appreciate the info! I’m not sure what I’m gonna do then lol...

Any idea what kv that motor is?

Just googled... 10,000kv. That's way high for much of anything these days. I wonder if what I found was accurate. That's kind of what you find in small 1/18th and smaller scale motors. Larger scale run lower kv with more torque to carry the weight of what it's pushing better. Maybe it was made for onroad or something. With a 2S lipo fully charged, that thing would be screaming at 80,000+ rpms!

I just bought a new 3800kv for my ejato and it may be too tall. It replaced a 3500kv that fried on me. I ran 2S on it most of the time I had it and only recently started running 3S. I'm not sure if the motor was old/tired/dying already or if I was just expecting too much. It came out of a seriously abused stampede 4x4 vxl I bought used. I think I put more back into that thing just to get it working than it would have cost me new. I now run the same 3800kv in the stampede as well, but on 2S as well. I just regeared it a bit so I can try 3S. However, I've been told the motor/esc (castle sct sv3/3800kv) don't like 3S... so things may change again soon.

My grandpa put that one together and he was known to go overboard with anything related to speed... I got that one going the other day and with a 5200 Mah 2s I got about 15 minutes of run time but that thing freaking screams... had it going like 30 and punched it and it straight up did a backflip then wiped out hahah

IMG_2058.jpg