Nitro long term storage?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

True Newb

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
I think I want to just put the Losi Mega Baja up for quite awhile as I don't want to break or destroy it. So, what do you recommend to do to prep the engine for storage? Tires so they don't dry rot? Anything else you would do?

I think I want to just put the Losi Mega Baja up for quite awhile as I don't want to break or destroy it. So, what do you recommend to do to prep the engine for storage? Tires so they don't dry rot? Anything else you would do?

I had let 2 sets of MT tires rot ,as they sit for a few years on the trucks in a very hot shed!
Tires & wheels should be taken off an stored in a plastic bag in a cool environment ,or
block the truck up on a shelf in a controlled environment!
Engine ,put a few drops of after run or some type of machine oil ,3 in 1 oil works an
rotate the engine a little to get the oil mixed around the internal parts!

Drain the tank for sure!...👍

I've never liked 3 in 1 oil 20 years ago I put it on a prototype knife I was given. stored on wooden display holder. within 4 days handle was dripping onto wood base...and tool or long term stored moving object I have used Zmax since the late 1980s barney juice(cuz its a clear purple liquid) does a superior' job. on Bearing bushing. Raw metal parts..its a micro lube so pieces absorb the lube. as for tires I use tire slick. on a rag the vacuum seal them in plastic Oxygen and heat dry root tires.

I read where Adam Drake uses a 80/20 mix of Marvel Mystery Oil and WD-40 as after run oil. I'm going to give it a try unless one of you experienced guys on here convince me other wise.
I read that at one point and thought about doing it myself but it just seemed like to much extra work when I've never had any trouble from hobbico brand ARO so I juts bought another bottle of that

I read that at one point and thought about doing it myself but it just seemed like to much extra work when I've never had any trouble from hobbico brand ARO so I juts bought another bottle of that

Marvel oil is just about the best an there is no need to mix it really ,an quite sure that the Hobbico brand is
good as well!..👍
Most of my engines really never seen any after run oil though ,they still running after all these years!

Adam Drakes engines are probably stored in a plastic baggie in a controlled atmosphere ,an his
oil mix is probably over kill an really dont need the mix!

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't been using any after run oil either but the more I read about it the more concerned I become.

cbaker, I see you live in the desert of CA where you can probably get away with it, no problem, due to low humidity most of the year. I am on the Texas Gulf Coast where the humidity is very high almost all year, except for the dead of winter. So far, so good with mine, but I'm not much of a risk taker!

Thanks for the input guys. I haven't been using any after run oil either but the more I read about it the more concerned I become.

cbaker, I see you live in the desert of CA where you can probably get away with it, no problem, due to low humidity most of the year. I am on the Texas Gulf Coast where the humidity is very high almost all year, except for the dead of winter. So far, so good with mine, but I'm not much of a risk taker!

Oh yea definitly ,yea coast area's even may have a certain amount of salt in the air
as well ,I seen the horrors of that!..:hehe:.....:thumbs-up:

Back