Nitro good after being in cold weather?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okihost

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
Well I have two fresh quarts of Traxxas fuel I left in my trunk for about 2 weeks and it has been down to about 10 degrees here so I am not sure if it could possibly damage my engine by running it for any reason.

I know its a dumb question but last thing I want to do is screw up my engine.

Thanks

I'm not sure but i think the only thing that messes nitro up is water getting in the mix

I know your itching to get out man but personally I wouldnt do it. I've only experienced 35 degree weather at most so I really dont know. Maye a member witha colder climate will enlighten us.

How do you have 2 quarts in the tank? I would wait until it's at least in the 30s or higher. You're just wishing for some major damage playing when it's that cold.

Get it to room temp and shake it back up. Make sure that there aren't any oil clots in it. Other than that, it should be fine to run.

Originally posted by El Pirata
How do you have 2 quarts in the tank? I would wait until it's at least in the 30s or higher. You're just wishing for some major damage playing when it's that cold.
What do you know, you travel from warm and exotic locations to other warm and exotic locations, lol. My name is Pirata, Elllllll Pirata

Do what Error said. I keep mine out in the garage and it is cold. Just shake it.

Does the fuel settle when sitting for a week? Say on the floor. I had no idea you were supposed to shake nitro fuel

The winter here in MA was harsh this winter it got down very low a couple times below 0 deg and this winter i ran in around 5 deg temp a few times and upward and i had no problems

Originally posted by Waste Land
I know your itching to get out man but personally I wouldnt do it. I've only experienced 35 degree weather at most so I really dont know. Maye a member witha colder climate will enlighten us.

Originally posted by lykan
Does the fuel settle when sitting for a week? Say on the floor. I had no idea you were supposed to shake nitro fuel
Yes fuel does settle. Because its for a 2cyc. the oil and and fuel have diffrent weight and densities and seperate so if u get just top of the fuel bottle ur getting just fuel and not enough lubricant, and vise versa

Originally posted by okihost
Well I have two fresh quarts of Traxxas fuel I left in my trunk for about 2 weeks and it has been down to about 10 degrees here so I am not sure if it could possibly damage my engine by running it for any reason.

I know its a dumb question but last thing I want to do is screw up my engine.

Thanks

Originally posted by El Pirata

EP, read his post. The two quarts were stored in the trunk of his 1:1 car, not the tank of his RC. If it were in the tank, that would be one hell of a long run to make.

Originally posted by Error401
Get it to room temp and shake it back up. Make sure that there aren't any oil clots in it. Other than that, it should be fine to run.

This is perhaps the best thing to do. Nitro fuel actually likes cold dark places. The only thing harmful to nitro fuel is sunlight; and beyond that it tends to be hygroscopic (which means it attracts moisture) which is not bad for the fuel, but the moisture is bad for the engine.

Yeah about two weeks ago it barely hit 40 out and I could not wait any longer so I took it our for a while and left the nitro in the car Doh!

It's alcohol based, alcohol doesn't freeze until around -80. The oil will just get thick if it separates enough. Shaking the fuel helps mix it and helps oxygenate the nitro for better burning.

Also I just read one of the tips in this months Radio Control Car Action mag that if you have like a half a bottle, squeeze the bottle until the nitro get s to the top then put saran wrap over the top and then put the lid on and tighten down. They say the less air in with the fuel the better, and I guessthe saran wrap helps that theory out to.

The Saran wrap helps to seal out the air which has moisture in it. In California they require the fuel to be in metal cans. We don't have to worry about the moisture issue very much any more. I have not had any fuel go bad since they started selling it in cans instead of plastic jugs.