nitro fuel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gibson xtr3e

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm new to the game and the only hobby shop around for a while only sells one kind of nitro fuel,mogans cool power. i just bought a xt-r3e and was wondering if anyone knows if that approiate or not,btw its 10%. if thats not good can you recomend some that is

I would check and make sure it's fuel specifically for RC cars. Although I can't find a list for the specific product, every mention of it I see on Google is in reference to airplane engines. So it may not work. You may want to look for things like Byron Race, O'Donnell, Blue Thunder or many many others...

what harm would it do if i ran it through my engine?

Cool Power is plane fuel, and there is a Cool power helicopter formula. There is a difference in the percentage of oil between car and plane fuel. Car fuel is around 10% oil and plane is around 18%, and I don't know why. I ran some cool power heli 20% nitro fuel in an old GS engine that was low on compression. I was thinking the extra oil would seal the piston better and make more power. All it did was smoke more.

yeah i just found that out at a near by hobby store. thay actually knew what they where talking about

Most engine manufacturers recommend using a fuel with at least 18% oil. I know that OS does for their CV-R (it says right in the instruction manual). I've been into nitro engines since about 1962, starting with model airplanes and then begining with R/C cars in about 1970. I've used airplane fuel both in my airplane engines as well as my car engines (they are really both the same). I have never "lost", seized or "blown" an engine by using airplane fuel. I recommend an airplane fuel with "around" 18% oil consisting of some castor oil. The use of dedicated "car" fuel is a hype. You pay more for it and do not get anything better than the less expensive airplane fuel (sometimes much less!!). As a matter of fact, most car fuels contain 16% or less oil (some contain only 10%!!).

Last edited:
Cars don't need as much oil and I don't know why. But there must be some reason, cause plane fuel really makes cars smoke more than normal.

my two cents.

Airplane fuel is designed for longer engine life. Airplanes have better cooling capabilty and less exposure to polutants. Cars eat dirt on a regular basis and unless you choke your intake, some dust is still getting in the motor. This constant contaminate exposure scores pistons and sleeves and wears out a motor that an airborne rc does not have there for cars can sacrifice a little oil for more fuel and better performance where airplanes can protect better with more oil but also have less restrictive filters. Look forward to hearing other thoughts on the matter.

All right Captain. You went and dusted off a five year old thread. Rolex will be soooo upset when all the dust you stirred up settles on his shelf-queen. The Major wants too have a little chat with you...

Back