Nitro car running weird when getting hot

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
apologies having trouble with the edit form once Agajn. My question is per the post above. Thank you !
Interesting, first, I was unsure of your role here because most of your posts threw me off at first (I Magent you can appreciate how it seems foreign to a "outsider" they seemed but obviously you're here for comic relief, which is great. now I'm glad to see that you talk RC well.. :)

Anyway so I found what you noted about as long as it's not been run hot interesting how would you define that in other words what is hot what are the repercussions typically speaking with that engine what temperature using what temp gun in your experience does that and you need to get to before there is a tangible effect on the way it's tuned? I I thought taking temps many years ago and basically listen to whether it's lean rich because I learned that the variance and temperatures were so extreme it was a poor way of monitoring those two states so again I'm just curious how it is that you defined that state with the temperature. Thank you in advance for your response I love learning how others approach this!

I guess first thing you should understand is that EVERYONE will have a different opinion regarding the theories with temps and tuning. Some vary more than others. What is meant by 'as long as it wasn't run hot' is that as long as the engine wasn't OVERheated which also translates to as long as it wasn't run lean for too long or run with poor or old fuel. There will be differences in the temps on a hot day or cold, high or low humidity, environmental changes in other words. The changes mean that in a daily basis, you should be checking your temps. Even so during different times of the day as well as if you are running tank after tank with no real cool down time between, bashing or on a track.
Your fuel Also acts as a coolant. If you run lean, your motor overheats from lack of the actual coolant properties from the fuel as well as a lack of lubrication. That's is why most people will recommend a high oil content as well as at least a 20% nitro content for surface run motors.
The repercussions of overheating is in essence, killing your engine. Can be caused by premature wear on your motor, warped or stretched parts, seized bearings, and possibly seizing the piston, wrist pin etc. Also causing glow plug failure. No matter how you look at it, running the engine too hot is all bad. (pretty sure everyone can agree on that!) So even with a relatively new engine with only 1 litre of fuel run thru it, you could have caused MAJOR damage, or if you're lucky, little to no damage.
The point with the temp gun vs tuned by ear and visual smoke is that there are no questions. The temp is exactly 'xyz°s'. The temp can then be adjusted up or down by tuning your carb accordingly or on cold days, even by wrapping foil around the head to keep the motor in safe operating temps (within reason). If it's 10° F, don't run your car. (IMO)
As far as a definitive safe operating temp range, I would stay around 220°-250°F. With propped tuning, you should be able to maintain that temp range. That temp is where nitro is happy running and your motor is safe and with good power.
I am sorry this is so long but I think I've answered most of your questions, maybe too many! I also enjoy reading how other people operate their cars, I'm sure other people will also share their opinions and I look forward to what they have to say. Again, these are my opinions based on a LONG time working with 1:1 cars (not the same but many principals are shared, esp with high performance) as well as a pretty good base in nitro rc and a LOT of research.
Thanks for reading all this.
And yes, I believe that This site has a lot of folks who enjoy having fun and joking around, but we all try to get the answers out first... Sharing our knowledge collectively is what makes any forum work.

I should mention that until you get to your operating (full/highest temps) you still want to make sure you have a visible stream of smoke as well as using your ear. I didn't mean to imply that using your human senses are totally useless or unreliable. Common sense should always apply! ;)

Last edited:
I agree with most of the above. I do know from personal experience that my Traxxas 3.3 liked to run hotter than most at 270° versus the other engines that were happiest around 220-230°.

Yes, there are Def going to be slight variables to anything like this. A 20° difference from my happy spot is very reasonable. Esp if there have been modifications done to the motor. Different brands, different fuels etc... can all cause your happy spot to be different than mine...
I said happy spot! :hehe:

obviously you're here for comic relief, which is great.
In YOUR case, I'm not being humorous. I know who you are and your time here is limited...again.

53710b14a320b.png

Yeah, YOU!

Running on grass also gets the temps up. Check your temps and adjust your HSN accordingly.

Yes, there are Def going to be slight variables to anything like this. A 20° difference from my happy spot is very reasonable. Esp if there have been modifications done to the motor. Different brands, different fuels etc... can all cause your happy spot to be different than mine...
I said happy spot! :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.