nimh RX pack shorted out for 6-7 seconds

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alkyula

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i was splicing some wires today with my new nimh 5 cell Rx pack, and i guess its the hangover from last night but while i was messing with it the wires touched and i wasn't able to seperate every wire till about 6 seconds later. the pack didnt get real hot or anythin, although the wires got hot enough to cause a small fire at the tips were the insulation burned. i went ahead tryd to run the pack, and it seemed to run fine. i can't say anything about runtime because I've never ran it before..but got 2 tanks before shutting down for other reasons., and i was able to peak charge it and it didnt get hot. so what I'm wondering is what all did i do to the brand new pack by shorting it out?

If it runs fine and doesn't seem to be getting hot, then I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it after u run it a few more times. It should be ok though.

Nimh's are fairly resiliant and tough. The thing to watch with Nimh's are heat. Whether charging or discharging, you really need to watch the temps. Shorting out the cells is basically discharing, but with no load (Bad !!). If you say the temp didn't get to high, then you should be fine. The true test, like Team 17
said, is to run it and watch its' performance. Good luck.

thanks guys..but there the deal..I've never had any experince with rechargable RX packs, have only ever ran alkalines. well over the weeknd my buggy ran away from my twice from nocked out AA's...the second time heading right for the pond that is in the same park as the bmx track, so basicaly right after that bash session i went ot the LHS and grabed a peak performance 1200 MAH nimh 5 cell. how long long does a pack like that average before not being able to run anymore while powering a metal gear 90 OZ steering and a standard throttle servo, AM RX, and a failsafe in a 1/8 buggy?