Newest project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kwong2001

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just to give you a little background, i've been flying for about 6 or 7 years, did it hardcore for about 3-4, flew a little pattern competition, then it's been off and on ever since. Dad bought and build every plane, and we have somewhere around 12 planes, 9 or so are gas.

Anyhoo, this is my newest project, it's an E-Flite Yak-54F my dad bought me after I crashed my Tensor 4D (RIP). It has sat for over a year now, and since I have become recently bored, I decided to try make my first attempt at putting together my own plane. Technically it's an ARF, but nothing is really put together since it's all foam, so as far as i'm concerned, it's a kit hehe.

I'll update this thread with the progress I make as I go along (probably once a week since school is starting)...

DSCN1333.gif

All i've done so far is glue the aileron hinges to the wing and mounted the wing on the fuselage. Still need to check to make sure the wing is centered before gluing it to the fuselage.

Good to see you pop back in Kevin.
Seems a few more of us are taking to the skies, too. I build a Combat Wings XE2, a GWS Tiger Moth 400 and a Mike Glass Matrix flat foamie this summer and have been having a ball. The Yak looks like a nice kit and I'm sure it will 3D all day when you're done.

Welcome back Kev.
Nice to see you on line.

Yeah welcome back, nice little plane you have there also, those things can be alot of fun indoors or outdoors.

Glad to see a little more activity in the planes.
Seems like a lot of people are scared of trying them.

I have spend more time doing upkeep on the cars than the planes.
Keep the posts coming guys. I need some inspiration. Got way too much money in em to quit.

Good luck with it.

Okay, first off, I changed the link to the first picture I posted, and since i can't figure out how to edit my original post, here's the picture:

DSCN1333.gif

Now for the update:
As you all know I haven't replied to this thread, truth be told, had some things come up that were more important and after having the CA glue fail when I glued the wing, I just plain lost interest.

6 months later, I finally put in another day of building. Got all the controls surfaces mounted with next step being installation of the radio gear. I used epoxy for the rest of the stuff, so most of my day was spent waiting for the stuff to cure. Since I'm missing one mini servo, I'll be going up to the hobby shop tomorrow to buy it. With any luck the plane will be ready for it's maiden flight come this weekend.

So yeah, that's my update for today. Oh, and here's the latest pictures, check out how HUGE the control surfaces are lol

DSCN1384.gif

DSCN1385.gif

Nice....I have always wanted to get into planes....soon....Build on ...post some vids when it flies....

If you can afford one, get one, they're loads of fun, just don't crash lol

Just a little update, mounted the sub-micro servos, wrapped them in electrical tape and hot glued them in. Setup all the control linkages, interestingly, the ailerons used standard rods with a z-bend which is pretty standard, the rudder uses a pull-pull, also standard, but the elevator ALSO used a pull-pull...something I haven't seen in any plane, even the most expensive, biggest planes.

Tomorrow i'll mount the motor, ESC, and receiver, install the landing gear and then balance the plane. Saturday I'll program the radio and then she'll be ready for her maiden flight

Anyhoo, here's the pictures:

DSCN1390.gif

DSCN1389.gif

DSCN1388.gif

Last edited:
Finished the plane, ended up going with a 3 cell thunder tiger 1320ma pack, phoenix 25 speed controller and an e-flite brushless 400 motor. This is recommended for the high powered setup which requires "precise throttle control" hehe. Got everything in the plane, set the center of gravity. Now all I have left is to program the low and high rates and put in some exponential....which only takes maybe 10-15 minutes.

Anyhoo, check out the pictures....

DSCN1400.gif

DSCN1401.gif

DSCN1403.gif

DSCN1402.gif

Back