newbs review of "rs4 3 evo+"

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherryelky305

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I managed to pick this up for $299.99, most places will have similar examples for $300-$320. The packaging is quality stuff, good box that displays the car well. The remote and starter are wraped well and protect from bumps and drops.

The car comes RTR, but not really. you need about $80 worth of stuff to get it on the road. Included in packaging is the following:

Car (includeing pre-painted body, and clear spoiler)
Remote
Starter
Spare parts (body pins, screws, plastic pieces)
Few small tools (nothing to get the glow plug out though)
Decals
Instructions

DSC_3848.jpg

DSC_3852.jpg

What you need to get it on the road:
Fuel
Fuel bottle (optional)
Batteries (I got rechargables and chargers)
Glow igniter

The body is painted very well, and window stickers and decals are applied straight. One thing I didnt like is that HPI took the liberty to attach their name to the fog light stickers, I had to cut them off in order to leave the lights on. Small complaint, but I dont like it when companies do things like that on purpose.

DSC_3840.jpg

DSC_3843.jpg

Here is the car with the spoiler painted and installed.

DSC_3851.jpg

DSC_3850.jpg

The chassis is well built and seems sterdy enough to handle some bumbs and wrecks. Always check every screw on a RTR before you run it, a few needed tightening. One thing to watch for is how the factory routes the fuel lines. They routed the fuel line on mine in a way that rubbed some gears, so about a minute to re-route the fuel line could save you later on. Upon first glance without running it at all i feel that the front springs do need to be stiffer, I'll find out later when I drive it around a track. The wheels and tires look great, nothing performance here although the tires do appear to be glued on for you.

DSC_3845.jpg

DSC_3846.jpg

DSC_3844.jpg

DSC_3847.jpg

The remote feels light in the hand, made from cheap plastic. It includes 3 trim nobs (steering, throttle, and D/R?) as well as the ability to reverse steering and throttle directions. You could go spear fishing with the antenna by the way, it was longer than I thought it would be. More on the remote when I drive it. The starter seems top quality as far as i can tell, its fit and finish is great and is actually really sturdy.

Thats it for now until I break it in and drive it on a track. tune in again.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for taking the time to do that review, I would love to see more people giving reviews of the new rigs, and I will start doing my part as well.

I'll follow it up in this thread with my driving experience, and feel free to ask any questions you have about this specific model.

Do they offer any other packages that come with other muscle car bodies? I know I can buy a body seperate, but I really like the nostalgic look and was wondering if they offered a RTR with a GM or Mopar body.

Do they offer any other packages that come with other muscle car bodies? I know I can buy a body seperate, but I really like the nostalgic look and was wondering if they offered a RTR with a GM or Mopar body.

They have one with a 'Cuda body too

yes, a cuda bodie is offered as well as as 2 others. I believe they are tuner bodies, a nissan 350z and maybe a honda nsx gt.

The cuda body is the best!!! Post a vid of you driving yours.

Finally got the rest of my stuff in at the hobby shop and have driven it around for 2 days now. Thing is fast, to put it shortly you learn how to glue tires real quick. the remote actually feels fine, i thought it would be to light but it works perfect for me.

Locktite is not used on header bolts from the factory. Remove and reinstall these bolts with locktite or you will be blowing header gasgets left and right.

The car seems tough all around although i did lose signal (no failsafe. I know, I know) and the car went into a pole at full throttle about 20 mph. servos and steering remain intact. total loss was 5 screws and a rubber exaust elbow. pretty good in my book.

I had it at a track for 2 hours today aswell. have about 6 tanks of gas on it, and it could use more breaking power (adjustments maybe?) I found my self not being able to stop from 35+ as fast as i needed to. suspension seems good, definately good for a newb.

moral of the story, buy lots of super glue and screws, and locktite.

Back