Newbie Rack & Pinion Question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinderbox

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all. Just joined this forum in hope to solve a small mechanical issue. Last time I played with anything RC was about 1985 and it was a fire truck with a big cable to a handset and I was about 6 years old.

Project I have on atm is converting an old 1960's speed boat to all electric propulsion. An actual human size boat that is. My problem is this:

I have the electric motor which runs from a PWM speed controller which is operated by a small 25mm potentiometer knob that you just twist by fingers. What I want to do is operate this knob via the throttle cable of the boat. This cable just retracts and extends inside a sheath and moves the armeture on the carb like on any petrol driven device ie lawnmowers, motorbikes etc etc.

I have this idea that the end of the throttle cable can be attached to a sliding toothed rack gear which in turn rotates the potentiometer knob once I have replaced the plastic knob with the corresponding pinion gear to it's spindle.

To put a long story short, I have been on a long quest to find the right parts for this small but essential job and out of sheer dispair, here I am asking for help.

Here is a great video showing the exact conversion I am building. Inspired directly by this video. I live in the UK hence joining a UK forum and not a US one.

Ok This is a rc form..I might go in another direction...a linear servo .best of luck in your quest...how many degrees do you need to go from 0 to 100 in pot?more than 360 degrees or what?

I know it's an RC forum. I was hoping to be pointed towards a supplier of small rack and pinion gears. I don't need a servo. This is purely a mechanical transfer project. Thanks anyway.