Newbie questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ludespd

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Buying a new tmaxx this weekend. I've been looking at the model numbers and everyone says the 4908 is the new model but on the traxxas website they list a 4907 as the 2010 model. Next question is after break in what is normal operating temp?

4907 is the newest version. It's the extended 3.3 just like the 4908 with a couple small tweaks. First thing you should know about break-in is that you want the engine to be at 190-210 degrees as much as possible. Do yourself a favor and warm it up with a hair dryer before startup. 3.3's are extremely tight and the more it runs cold the more you risk breaking the conrod and ruining the whole engine. You could also do 'heat cycles' first, which is the ideal way to start BEFORE using the traxxas method. You can do a search for more info on that. Once you get your break-in done 230-260 is a good temp range. Remember, a temp guage is not going to tell you if your tune is right, it's only good for checking temps and to prevent overheating, which on a 3.3 is about 280+. Good luck, they're fun if you take the time to do it right. ;)

I just noticed the 4907 now has the 2.4 ghz radio system, don't let anyone try to sell you a 4908. 4907 all the way.:D

cool if the 4907 is the better one then thats what ill pick up. Just scared about the break in cause it will be my first. Break In Virgin

What % fuel should i run?

20% all the way. Get Byron's or O'donnell race blend, Traxxas top fuel works, but it's crappy.

break in is pretty easy, i use a laser IR thermometer (had it before) and it is fast and easy for checking glow plug temps.

I have always run 20% fuel, i use the cheaper stuff at my LHS and have had zero issues with it at all. I have many tanks of fuel on the same traxxas glow plug, like prolly half a gallon or so, maybe more and itt the one i put in right after break in.

Last edited:
Glow plugs last a good long while with a proper tune. That cheap fuel from your lhs must be pretty good stuff. Sounds like your engine is behaving just as it should.

yes sir.

the stuff is called Nitro Juice and has a orange and black label with a pink or light red color for the fuel. i buy it in the gallon jug.

i can get a picture if needed.

Back