newbie questions...start it and the wheels move foward..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roozy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i put it on a block so it wouldn't go anywhere starting it up for the first time...well good thing because it just would have blasted off....so I'm guessing when i removed the throttle servo and put it back on the little round notches thing i angled it wrong (a little towards the gas)??? i have no idea..:shrug:

You may have installed your servo backwards. Or your idle isn't set properly. Or your servos are reversed on your transmitter.

I'm not sure exactly what you did though. Not enough information.

You shouldnt start your MT with the wheels off the ground, I know it says to do it in your owners manual, but dont. The engine could overheat very fast. Start the engine with the wheels on the ground and adjust your idle screw to set the idle speed. Your carb should be 2-3mm open with the throttle in the closed position. adjust the idle so the engine doesn't stall and the car doesn't move.

Skinh0agie: No offense but. personaly, I think that's a bunch of hearsay crap. I've been starting my R/Cs with the wheels off the ground since day one more than 10 years ago and have yet to have any problems. Think about it, if you use a starter box the wheels are off the ground all the time when starting. As for running it with the wheels off the ground, I would agree to the point that you need to be carefull how fast you run the engine due to very minimal resistance and a tendancy to run at too high an RPM. The turning drive train, in itself, is exerting resistance to the engine. Each person has the right to beleive what they wish, this is only my opinion.

Hey Roozy, basically what you want to do is to make sure your throttle is CLOSED (only open 2-3mm) before, during and after you start your engine. Dont open the throttle until you are ready to start driving it.

You may have to adjust your servos or your idle screw. The best way to make sure the gap is correct is to remove your airfilter when making adjustments....just remember to put it back on before you put the car on the ground....

You mentioned you took the servo arm off the servo and then put it back? Sounding like maybe you need to turn it more before you put it back on the servo. Just a matter of adjusting. I would take that arm off, turn on the truck and the receiver and center your throttle trim, the put the arm back on the servo making sure the carb is stopping towards the closed side. Give that a shot. This is your first time starting this engine? Of all my RC's, there is no problem starting the car with the wheels off the ground. You can even give the gas while holding it, try to be somewhat level though. Doesn't hurt it one bit. The only thing is for extend periods because one thing, you're not getting the air it needs causing overheating problems. Also true that your rpms will even peak higher than when it's running on the ground. Less resistance as stated by Larry... Good luck...

Back