Newbie questions on Savage 25

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drekkyk

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello all. I just recieved my first R/C Nitro MT and I have a couple questions. I have read a lot in the week leading up to the delivery of my new MT, but I still have questions. I'll start off with my break in experiances.

First tank, stalled a ton. I was getting very frustrated. It seemed to be way too lean by the way it just tried to take off so I adjusted the idle and LSN and she calmed down. After what seemed like an eternity, I finally got through the first tank.

Second tank, stalled quite a bit, but after playing with the needles a bit, she was running smooth.

Third tank, I started having some problems with the throttle. It was starting to bind and wouldn't close all the way. I reset the LSN and idle screw and it cleared up for about 5 minutes. I removed the spring (Is it the servo saver spring?) that connects around the LSN and the fuel inlet. After that the throttle was smooth.

This brings me to my questions. Is it ok to run without the spring? I'm not sure how I could rig it to prevent the binding.
Next question, It seems to me that it shifts into second real late. I have leaned out the HSN some, and am not sure if I will more or not, but should I wait to adjust the shifting until after I'm satisified with the way it's running? Or will that not effect the shifting whatsoever?

Thanks!
Drekkyk

Last edited:
Guess what!?! I came up with a few more questions for anyone that can answer them.

Can someone suggest a good failsafe to buy?
Can someone suggest some good rechargeables for the truck/radio?
And lastly, I think I would like to completely tear down/rebuild my truck. I really want to know how everything works. I hear a lot of people like the instructions, but they don't do it for me. The pictures are good, but I guess I'm the type that needs to read it. Before I start tearing it down, can someone tell me all the tools that I need? Any suggestions for optional tools that will make life easier would be appreciated as well. Are there any real tricky steps that will give me a headache? Hints/tips also welcome!

Thanks for your time!

Drekkyk

visit HPI site forum and look at the savage post.. they can help also....

here a tip for the throttle return spring.. doing this wille allow you to open your carb at full throttle

2027dscn3827k.jpg

You can also get the manual for the Savage SS on HPI site as well

Venom fail safe is good

go on Ebay and do a search on 5 cell 6V 1000mAh humps Ni-MH.. I got 3 for $16... i got them from a seller there .. www.batteryspace.com

NMH2pkRC6V1000.jpg

I got this for like $25 with 12 AA batteries 2000mAH Ni-MH

V868AA1800x12p.jpg

Last edited:
That is a nice setup for the return spring. Never even occurred to me. Also, you just got the truck. I'd wait before complaining about how late you're shifting. Mine didn't shift until the 8th tank. The engine still isn't reaching it's full potential until then. After that, you can adjust the shift point. If you adjust now, you'll end up adjusting later on down the road. For rechargeables, break down and get a hump pack. Better in the long run if you ask me.

Those hump packs look a little big....any problems fitting them in?

Drekkyk

yeah about the shifting problem. I broke my 25 in nice and easy and it really wouldn't open up untill the 10th or 12th tank and even then it wasn't at peak preformance or anything. it took a while to get it broken in but I'm glad i didn't rush it because now it runs very well and starts on the 3rd pull every time

the humps fit perfect.. no problems

There's different sizes in hump pack designs. Once you get the one that fits, you may have to customize the battery holding area so that you don't have to always take it apart to get the pack out to charge. Just drill out a hole where you can stick the charge connector out so all you have to do is hook up to it. I think they make different voltages of hump packs, so make sure you get the 6.0v pack. I think they have 4.8v that look just the same. Correct me if I'm wrong fellow members.

Why does the manual say to use only alkaline batteries?

Probably because ANYTHING from stock they do not want to support.

Hump packs deliver more power and runtime. Roll with it. You will be happier.

Back