Newbie question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelCityPride

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Happy 2018 everyone. New member and new to Nitro RC. I bought two beginner Redcats (Tornado S30 and Shockwave) for my sons and we stripped the spur gears on both during break-in. Basically flattened out each same around 10 teeth or so. Have no clue how it happened since they were brand new and only breaking in. Have some replacements ordered to fix but hoping someone can help with cause - especially since they were new.

Some additional information: Had newbie problems starting them at first. Sons may have tried starting them without me. Wheels don't move on both whether on ground or not.
Redcat Tornado - didn't see small gear moving (can't remember its name) while started. 47T spur is the stripped one, smaller is ok.
Redcat Shockwave - small gear was moving when started. In fact knew it was shot and was testing, I gave it a little push and it took off, heard the grinding and the rest of the teeth came off.

Will this be a hard fix for a newbie?

Thanks in advance

Welcome to RCNT! Stripped Spur Gears are fairly common. You can't depend on the gear mesh being correct from the factory. I always check before running a new RC. It's real easy. I do it with a strip of paper. Just run the paper through the gears. YouTube has videos showing how to do it.Make sure engine mount screws are tight also. The small gear is the clutch bell.:welcome_sign:

Pics of what you have will help!

We can not diagnose that ,because severarl things can cause those issues!...:cool:

Welcome to RCNT! Stripped Spur Gears are fairly common. You can't depend on the gear mesh being correct from the factory. I always check before running a new RC. It's real easy. I do it with a strip of paper. Just run the paper through the gears. YouTube has videos showing how to do it.Make sure engine mount screws are tight also. The small gear is the clutch bell.:welcome_sign:
Also blue loctite all the screws that are screwed into metal. Failure to do so will allow them to loosen up prematurely

Back