Newbie question, we’ll not exactly newbie…

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPspacecoastfl

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So back about 12 years ago I had a kyosho gt2 on-road corvette. I remember the engine being a pain to tune but regardless I had to give up the hobby. Now I’m looking to get back into it. I been looking hard at the kyosho 1/8 inferno gt2 and the Traxxas pro slayer. I can only get one or the other. I prefer the inferno but gut tells me I would get more use out of the Traxxas due to more options on places to run it. I’m hoping for some useful in-site good and or bad on both. I really prefer nitro so that isn’t a question. As I mentioned I prefer on road just because I like on-road racing. Back when I had the other I purchased a clear corvette body and painted it up with goodwrench #3 . I sold the body alone for over $200. It came out very good! I have looked into the Traxxas because the slayer pro to me is close as off-road gets to resembling on-road and in all reality it would give me more option on places to use it because of ground clearance.

Welcome to the site.
There are ways to convert a slash 4x4 electric to 1/8 onroad. If the slayer is the same wheelbase, you could have both.

They also have the traxxas slash which is the 2wd slayer, a bit cheaper but still good, if money is an issue.

The only issue I see with Kyosho is how hard is it to get parts. Assuming your in Fl, Traxxas parts are easy to get.

Welcome!

I love the old Kyosho stuff from the Legendary series. Not much for on-road stuff, but I kinda want the Inferno myself.

Thank you all,
I prefer the on-road street style racing but there aren’t any tracks around here. (That I know of) so find a nice smooth surface to enjoy it might be a challenge, versus off-road my options for places to use it are much greater. Decisions decisions…. Yes I am in Florida

Thank you all,
I prefer the on-road street style racing but there aren’t any tracks around here. (That I know of) so find a nice smooth surface to enjoy it might be a challenge, versus off-road my options for places to use it are much greater. Decisions decisions…. Yes I am in Florida
There are a few tracks in Florida. I just saw a couple pop up not long ago. Have you tried a google search for RC tracks near you?

Theyre both hobby grade rigs so you can't really go wrong either way.

So I decided to go with the nitro inferno gt2.
Any recommendations on upgrades from stock?

Any recommendations on radios and servos?
If you're just looking for a decent budget radio Id get a Flysky GT3b. If you're going to be racing then Id get a middle of the road radio from either Sanwa or Futaba. Whatever you're budget will allow for. As for servos Id look at Savox servos. The faster and the more torque the better. Let me know if you need help narrowing it down further.

The car you bought comes with a radio and servo. Or are you wanting to upgrade it?

I was looking to upgrade in the future, I’ll use what it comes with to start so I can see what it’s like after upgrading. I think for me that’s the best way for me to learn the differences instead of just upgrading without first trying what comes with it.
If you're just looking for a decent budget radio Id get a Flysky GT3b. If you're going to be racing then Id get a middle of the road radio from either Sanwa or Futaba. Whatever you're budget will allow for. As for servos Id look at Savox servos. The faster and the more torque the better. Let me know if you need help narrowing it down further.
Some suggestions on the servos would be greatly appreciated 😁

I was looking to upgrade in the future, I’ll use what it comes with to start so I can see what it’s like after upgrading. I think for me that’s the best way for me to learn the differences instead of just upgrading without first trying what comes with it.
Good Plan!
Some suggestions on the servos would be greatly appreciated 😁
Not sure what your budget is but Id look at one of these two if it were me.

Savox SB2271SG - High Voltage Brushless Digital Servo .065/277 @ 7.4V
Savox SB2291SG - Monster High Speed Brushless Servo, Black Edition 0.042sec / 347oz @ 8.4V

Good Plan!

Not sure what your budget is but Id look at one of these two if it were me.

Savox SB2271SG - High Voltage Brushless Digital Servo .065/277 @ 7.4V
Savox SB2291SG - Monster High Speed Brushless Servo, Black Edition 0.042sec / 347oz @ 8.4V
I’m assuming I’ll want both servos to be the same? Also is the 4AA batteries have enough power for those or should I upgrade that as well?

I’m assuming I’ll want both servos to be the same? Also is the 4AA batteries have enough power for those or should I upgrade that as well?
My bad, i didnt realize that this was a nitro kit at first. I would either use two of the servos in the first link or Id use the second servo for steering and the first one for throttle/brake.

I would ditch the 4AAs and buy 5cell NiMH packs.

Back