New to Traxxas PLease Read

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaFan

ROLL TIDE!!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey everybody my name is Randy and I'm new to the Traxxas R/C world and just puchased my first Traxxas Revo. If anybody has any helpful imformation please feel free to share it. I have been doing alot of research so I understand the break in period is very important and I am going to watch the video before I run my car. I do have one question though years ago I had a Nitro truck and I had to install a Failsafe on it does this truck have some type of built in one I think its called opti drive? Could somebody please explain to me how the opti drive works. :D

www.traxxas.com. Find the manual for your model and read up. The manual is your most important tool if your unfamiliar with a vehicle. Most folks ditch the opti drive all together. Reverse too for that matter. Eliminating reverse makes for a stouter tranny. But for now, read up, get familiar and enjoy your new ride.:)

A fail safe and the Opti-Drive are 2 different things. The Opti-Drive is supposed to sense when the truck is stopped before it will shift from forward to reverse or reverse to forward. A fail safe is a safety device to stop the truck in the event of a lost radio signal or interference of the signal and /or if the battery voltage to the receiver is too low.

Welcome to RCNT!

Ok thanks so the optidrive will not put the brakes on in the event of Radio signal loss?

the optidrive will put the servo to neutral if signal is lost and if your batteries get to low ....i see everybody saying that it doesn't act as a failsafe ...but it does ...and its written in the manual ..( pages 11 to 13)..and i learned it first hand to ...took the optidrive out and my batteries got to low ...well the result was a runaway truck ...with the optidrive in , it will go to neutral while still having steering ......if you take it out , make sure you get another failsafe

Ok thanks yea I thought the optidrive acted as a failsafe but I didnt know thats why I asked it says it is spose to anyway.

Mac I've never heard that, I'll have to check it out. Anyway with a 2.4 ghz radio (if that's what you have) it will stop everything if the battery gets low. Forget about interference, it's pretty rare. You should have a throttle return spring for when it loses power completely. With the am radio system you'll want to get a failsafe like the one from ofna for about 15 bucks. I run my 2.4ghz radios with just a return spring and the only thing I have to worry about is the servo locking up somehow.

Mac I've never heard that, I'll have to check it out. Anyway with a 2.4 ghz radio (if that's what you have) it will stop everything if the battery gets low. Forget about interference, it's pretty rare. You should have a throttle return spring for when it loses power completely. With the am radio system you'll want to get a failsafe like the one from ofna for about 15 bucks. I run my 2.4ghz radios with just a return spring and the only thing I have to worry about is the servo locking up somehow.

its all in the revo manual ;)
...both my revos have the 2.4ghz radio ...and the built in failsafe dont work for low battery ... ...but with the optidrive in , it all works fine....

Fail safe

I have a venom failsafe i think I'm just going to put it on to be on the safe side. I really dont want my car to keep going at full throttle if I loose radio or battery power LOL.Thanks guys

first thing you need to do is tighten up the slipper clutch. every traxxas I've seen has been set really loose.

Also make sure that the throttle return spring closes the throttle all the way when the radio is off. This will prevent a run away if your RX loses power.

+1. Turn on the tx and rx with the engine off, grab full throttle, and switch the rx off. The spring should close the carb.

hey i see that you all have a lot of wizdom with traxxas cars and trucks so what do i do with the three that i have that i dont know how to drive yet lol!!! i have all traxxas, the E-revo brushless, the nitro 4-tec and the e-maxx brushless

y tighten the slipper clutch

Charge the batteries and turn the electric vehicles on to make them operate. Same for the nitro, only you have to fill the tank with fuel and start the engine as well. Follow my link to the traxxas website and read up on your particular vehicles. The slipper clutch absorbs shock load and keeps the drivetrain in good shape. It's integrated into the spur gear, which is the main input gear on the tranny. If it's too loose, it will slip excessively and your vehicle will not move.

Back