New to this.. just bought a used t maxx 2.5

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tvjv2009

The dork that asks all the stupid questions...
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So as I stated in the heading. I just started with RC literally 3 days ago. I am an ebay junkie and found a t maxx 2.5 minus engine and needs a new body.. maybe some of you had seen it?? Anyway I was needing to know what engine I am looking for. My plans is to really take my time in getting this truck together. I ordered a Redcat Tornado s30 to get me started. I was told they would be a great starter truck to lean to drive with. Both are on their way! Any help would be greatly appreciated! I will post pics on this thread as soon as I get the truck.

I would say to g with the TRX 3.3 motor for it. It is easy to install and easy to keep tuned as long as you break it in per the Traxxas way. It will also last a long time as long as you do regular maintenance on it.

I don't know anything about the Redcat. The Tmaxx uses either a 2.5 or a 3.3 engine. If I was doing it, I'd go with the 3.3. There are other good engines that will fit. I had an OS .18 in my first Maxx and it was a real good engine. You are going to need a complete engine with everything that goes with it. Here's one that 's on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAXXAS-2-5...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35d37c95de

The 3.3 engine runs stronger than the 2.5 but it is a little more $$$. If you're going to buy a used engine on Ebay, it's a crap-shoot. It might be OK and it might not. If it's not, the piston and sleeve is going to be another $45. The guy is listing this engine that it has only had 3/4 of a gallon of fuel through it. But you still have no way of knowing what happened during the engine use. And you also need to be aware of the sellers positive feedback score. You need to give it some thought as to investing in a new engine before you buy something used because you might end up spending just as much fixing up a used one.

Traxxas engines are disposable... For a little more $, get this and never look back.

http://www.amain.com/product_info.p...-w-51226-207-Tuned-Pipe-Set-T-Maxx-Turbo-Plug

Then you would only need the stock engine mount/clutch & flywheel to be a happy camper. (also a cordless drill or roto start to start it with).

Hey, thanks so much. Seems affordable enough. So would you say that this engine will last abit longer? Also was wondering, why are some engines by cc displacement and some by cubic inches?? Thanks again for all the info!