New to RC planes

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcc1961

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I just joined the forum, ordered a WLtoys F959 to learn on. I wanted a pusher glider with 3 channels to get the hang of flying. It seemed to be a good choice for a newbie. How long should I expect to have of flying time with the stock battery?

Usually RC flights last no longer than about 10 minutes in my research, but mine last no more than about 7-8 minutes due to fatigue. (My eyes aren't as good as they once were.)

@mcc1961 welcome to RCTalk. Keep us posted on how well you like the F959 after you've flown it a few times.

As for flight times, it of course all depends on your flying style but you could probably expect to get around 10 minutes of flight time.

As others have said, it all depends on flying style, flying conditions, etc. With a pusher plane like that in perfect conditions, you might get 20+ minute flights by climbing on the motor, then gliding until you need the motor again, rinse wash and repeat. Or on a gusty day, you may only get five minutes of fighting the wind before needing to land.

Take your time with it, MAKE SURE your COG is correct (nose heavy planes fly weird, tail heavy planes fly once), and remember that taking off is optional, but landing is mandatory. You can always take a break if you're not feeling it, or the conditions just aren't right that day. The plane that walks away lives to fly another day. And bring your patience, aircraft are a lot of fun, but a very different challenge from anything ground based.

When I use to fly my Cox plane ,I use to be able to keep it up in the air at least about
5 min.'s just on catching wind thermals after the engine ran out of fuel!

My plane had a 55'' wing span with quite a bit of dihedral at about 5'' from the wing tips!...:cool:

Back