New to nitro

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktmoss19

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Please can anyone tell me what this is , I’ve bought it second hand, only ever had electric before
Thanks

Thunder Tiger TS-4N Sport V2 , 'm almost positive!
looks like a fun rig! can't say I'm a fan of belt drive, but that's personal preference!
welcome to RCT and happy rcing!!!

Thanks so much for your reply , hopefully I can get it running without to much cost ?
Cheers

Haven’t got it yet , will know more when I see it at the weekend

can say first thing id look into is a new air filter, always good to have fresh ones, glow plug(s), id grab a few, new fuel hose, imo id crack the diffs and make sure everything is as it should and re-lube.
were you given any indication on how long it sat? if its been a month or longer, id take the motor out and remove the carb and clean it. toothbrush and soapy water works wonders. take out all the needles, inspect and clean, wouldnt be a bad idea to replace o-rings.
pop the backplate off and clean that, old nitro fuel works well to break down the gummed fuel in the engine. personally id remove the piston sleeve, flywheel and clutches and pop the crank out to clean further in, but not necessary typically. clean the one way bearing(s).
then make sure everything is rinsed off and dry and re-assemble. while you are re-assembling id also through a small bead of sealant around the backplate, (bit of controversy on sealing engines, but unless you add to much it can't hurt.)
pre lube the carb a bit with fuel and put a few drops on the cylinder walls and on the cylinder and spin it a few times by hand to soak the fuel/oils into the sleeve, never want dry metal on dry metal.
then set back to factory needle settings and tune it in.
also id recommend getting a 5 cell receiver pack if it still has the 4 AA alkaline battery holder thing.
good luck!

Thanks so much for the advice, I can’t wait to get it now and start tinkering ? very grateful for your help, cheers

I don’t suppose you know which range of bodies will line up easily?

i really don't id take some measurements, like wheelbase, width from outside of tire to outside of tire, length between bumpers, and height, then compare that to bodies, Amain has this:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/1-8-on-road-bodies-parts-cars-trucks/c1012?fk=15_14&lg=fk15
Rcplanet:
https://www.rcplanet.com/car-bodies/bodies-car-truck/?_bc_fsnf=1&Scale=1/8&Vehicle+Type=On-Road+Car
may be more from like parma etc.
could probably find a truck body that looks good in it too.
sadly i have never owned an on-road so am a bit clueless.
hope you get it running soon!
think the main reason i like nitro is the Tinkering factor!

Great info thanks, yes I’ve only had electric before so looking forward to it , cars are in my blood from birth lol ? my son loves it too

Great info thanks, yes I’ve only had electric before so looking forward to it , cars are in my blood from birth lol ? my son loves it too

Got the up and running yet?

Yes all running now , needs tuning in though it’s running too fast on idle , any ideas with the shell?? Cut outs for glow starter and pull start , refuelling??

Yes all running now , needs tuning in though it’s running too fast on idle , any ideas with the shell?? Cut outs for glow starter and pull start , refuelling??
id measure the width to figure out if yours runs the 190mm or 200mm width bodies i think that model is the 200mm. should be able to to make a more elongated hole on top for the engine hold/pull start/fueling, don't really know if the engine head is going to stick up above the body, on my LST i just have a hole in the top of the body just big enough for the glow driver, on my others, the engine stuck above the body line so i just cut a hole big enough for the head to poke through.

The engine seems to cut out often when pulling off ??? How long does it take a nitro engine to warm up ??
Thanks

The engine seems to cut out often when pulling off ??? How long does it take a nitro engine to warm up ??
Thanks
seems about the first half tank of the first tank is typical to be warmed up some sort of heat gun could be helpful.
so when you go from a standstill and give it throttle it is dying? does it just go straight to cut out or does it bog a bit then die? is it spitting out blue smoke? i highly recommend reading through this flow chart and thread a bit helps so much to get acquainted with tuning, i have it printed off and stuck to the top of my nitro go box lol.
if you have the engine set to factory settings it is going to be very rich.

Back