New TMaxx Tranny

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeMAXX

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi All,

SO this is killing me I dropped a brand new Transmission into my 2002 TMaxx 2.5 not long ago and after multiple adjustments I still cannot get this thing to kick into second gear. I rebuilt the old transmission 3 times over the years and finally just bought a new one from Tower Hobbies. Now it just will not kick into second gear no matter how far I turn out the adjustment screw. Still trying and will give it another shot this coming weekend. Thinking about pulling it apart to see if anything inside is stuck on the second gear clutch. I did rebuild the old tranny for a 4th time with all new gears and bearings so it may go back in.

JoeMAXX

While I've never had any issues with my Maxx shifting I do experience it with my MGT 4.6 To fix it I lean out the tune a little until it warms up and it starts to shift fine. Not to say this is your problem but it may be worth looking at.

Well there is a chance the cogs are gummed up from the stock grease inside never being run. Depends on how long it sat on the shelf before you bought it. Probably can fix with a little wd40 and compressed air. Or maybe just see if tower will exchange it for you considering its brand new.

Yes there is no telling how long it sat on the shelf before I purchased it.

Do not have enough room where I live to adjust it. Just tried and it just not have a long enough striaght to get it up to full speed long enough for it too shift. It is winding up to full RPMs so I do not think it is a leaning of the mixture problem.

So I will taking it out to the track again tomorrow to see if I can get it to shift properly.

Would hate to have to pull it out again then disassemble it.

Finally got the Tranny to kick into second gear after multiple tuning attempts. The new tranny came with the adjustment screw turned in closed and I had to turn out completly then turn it in about 1.5 turns to get it work properly. Flew around the track at at least 30 miles per hour and was turning in 35 second lap times. My Revo can do 30 second lap times so I am finally happy.

Finally got the Tranny to kick into second gear after multiple tuning attempts. The new tranny came with the adjustment screw turned in closed and I had to turn out completly then turn it in about 1.5 turns to get it work properly. Flew around the track at at least 30 miles per hour and was turning in 35 second lap times. My Revo can do 30 second lap times so I am finally happy.

You might want to consider the "Forward Only Conversion" I have a MAXX 2.5 Tranny & I myself have torn down & rebuilt my tranny 4-5 times.. I droped in the Forward Only Gear & I am very pleased I havent had a tranny problem ever since.. & not to metion you have LESS rotation mass inside the tranny itself with the Forward Only gear install.. ;)

Yep and i bet you start turning even faster laps with the FOC installed!

You might want to consider the "Forward Only Conversion" I have a MAXX 2.5 Tranny & I myself have torn down & rebuilt my tranny 4-5 times.. I droped in the Forward Only Gear & I am very pleased I havent had a tranny problem ever since.. & not to metion you have LESS rotation mass inside the tranny itself with the Forward Only gear install.. ;)

That is an idea that I will consider the next time I have to rebuild one of the trannies. I am just happy that this TMaxx is still running at it's age.

I have had to rebuild the entire drive train once replacing all the shafts and Diff Gears and bearings. I put cotton balls in the hex nuts at the end of the suspension arms to keeo the dirt out. This was before Traxxas got smart and sealed them for us.

I bought it when the First Wide 2.5 Maxx came out I think back in 2002. First engine I had about 5 or 6 gallons of fuel thru it then traded it in to Traxxas for the 3.3 Engine.

Took the 2.5r out of my brand new Revo and dropped into my Tmaxx then put the 3.3 into the Revo. This was back in 2005.