New TMaxx racing project .. need help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adron boyd

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I am about to attempt to build the fastest TMaxx on the planet... my last project was Strictly for looks and to catch the nitro heads eye.. i tried to build the best looking tmaxx in the world.. I think it came out very well.. now it's time to build my the speed.. my Goals are limitless with the nitro world. I want to start racing and My passion for this is something unheard of. None of the top racers that I have seen never use a tmaxx to win.. I'm not sure why ? Maybe it's the weight of the design in the Maxx. I need All the help I can get I have My eye on A gorilla Max/supermax chassis I'm going with All the latest parts I can find but they also have to be strong I'm thinking rpm for shock towers and arms. As far is the nuckels, bulkheads and deffs.. I feel like I should go with aluminum.. maybe flm or gpm. Tranny gears will be Robinson and all cvds will be steel as well.. I'm a Huge fan of the LRP32 so I'm definitely going with A big block that's why I choose the supermaxx chassis..I will be updating on here Throughout the entire build so All input is well taken in. Big thanks to u all for the inspiration.. NITRO HEAD FOR LIFE!!!!!!
20161121_223547.jpg
20161121_223432.jpg
20161121_223547.jpg

Attachments

• 20161127_135356.jpg
    20161127_135356.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 375
  • 20161127_135450.jpg
    20161127_135450.jpg
    170.4 KB · Views: 345
  • 20161127_135339.jpg
    20161127_135339.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 366
I think that your going the right direction on the RPM products ,in theory ,aluminum is heavy.

You also might consider in fabricating your own carbon fiber chassy ,its being used for custom
light weight chassy base with some people alike for speed & durability!...:cool:

I think that your going the right direction on the RPM products ,in theory ,aluminum is heavy.
Carbon fiber??? I've seen some chassis with that material... I'm about to look into that now.. weight is going to have to be cut down as much as possible.. have u seen any carbon chassis in action?? I was thinking aluminum wheels and knuckles to keep the rc on the ground and to and more control to acomadat the sway bar..
You also might consider in fabricating your own carbon fiber chassy ,its being used for custom
light weight chassy base with some people alike for speed & durability!...:cool:

I've seen people making their own chassy's out of woven carbon fiber for light weight.
A t-maxx chassy is just a simple plate ,an should be easy to mimic it by using one as a pattern!...:D

I've seen people making their own chassy's out of woven carbon fiber for light weight.
A t-maxx chassy is just a simple plate ,an should be easy to mimic it by using one as a pattern!...:D
How thick do u think...?? I'm thinking 5 to 7mm .. I already found some and I'm going with the carbon for sure

How thick do u think...?? I'm thinking 5 to 7mm .. I already found some and I'm going with the carbon for sure
I'm not sure!
This pic is another forum buddy's build ,He claims the lightest losi DBXL ,an its fast!
He's in most forums out today ,you might want to look out for him an PM on some better info.

His forum name is Twissted.

009_zpspihbnayp.jpg

004_zpswelxqy5r.jpg

005_zpsudh9dhsh.jpg

how to screen capture

Cool ,love seeing people do their own builds & fabrications ,I wished that I can do more!

You should also find his y-tube chanel ,he shows how they perform ,he also does xtreme crawlers
that fly over rocks rather than crawl!....LOL

He does brushless ,but a nitro will work as well!...:D

As far as other parts like tie rods & knuckle balls ,look out for titanium hop-up parts ,especially hardcore stuff which are
rare because they don't make rc stuff no more ,its strong an light weight.
Lunsford makes tie rods as well if you can find their stuff!

Mip makes good stuff!

Last edited:
Cool ,love seeing people do their own builds & fabrications ,I wished that I can do more!

You should also find his y-tube chanel ,he shows how they perform ,he also does xtreme crawlers
that fly over rocks rather than crawl!....LOL

He does brushless ,but a nitro will work as well!...:D

As far as other parts like tie rods & knuckle balls ,look out for titanium hop-up parts ,especially hardcore stuff which are
rare because they don't make rc stuff no more ,its strong an light weight.
Lunsford makes tie rods as well if you can find their stuff!

I'm on it.. trying to find his you You tube channel. I'm not sure how thick the carbon needs to be.. I'm thinking maybe 3 to 5 mm.. looking it up now.. ill let u know what I find

I like your ambition and I look forward to your build buddy. :thumbs-down: Are you planning to race on a dirt track with jumps and such?
What sort of overall budget are you looking at?
Back in the day T Maxx did decently in the MT racing class against the Losi's MGT's and Savages, especially if the Maxx was beefed up with Supermaxx parts.
Then came the Revo. The Revo was much more race ready right of the box than the T Maxx and dominated the Nitro MT class for a brief time.
That's what put the kibosh to T Maxx racing more or less.

I like your ambition and I look forward to your build buddy. :thumbs-down: Are you planning to race on a dirt track with jumps and such?
What sort of overall budget are you looking at?
Back in the day T Maxx did decently in the MT racing class against the Losi's MGT's and Savages, especially if the Maxx was beefed up with Supermaxx parts.
Then came the Revo. The Revo was much more race ready right of the box than the T Maxx and dominated the Nitro MT class for a brief time.
That's what put the kibosh to T Maxx racing more or less.
Very good to hear ur interest in my speed project.. big thanks..!! yeah I'm looking to aim for the dirt track with the jumps.. trying to make it as lite as Possible, going to go with a carbon fiber chassis about 4mm thick to give it a good soft landing.. exsteding the chassis about 3/4 of an inch roughly 300 mm long. I wanna keep some weight at the bottom for some good control. So aluminum knuckles sounds like the way to go.. my budget is some what endless.. I want to build the fastest TMaxx on the planet, so what ever cost, I'm willing to sacrifice. I chose the tmaxx cuz everything is so ez to work on and, i just over all love it's design.. u can say I'm a nitro Maxx head.. lol... my lrp engine set up I have with the Ercm pip. Has out of this world power.. so i will Definitly go with the same set up.. my carbon fiber plate is already on order.. I've been on the hunt for the Ercm pip.. but i guess i really got lucky getting my last on cuz I'm not getting a response from the the guys that make um... I'm open for any input.. any suggestions.. I was going to Purchase a super MAX set up from the chassis to the a arms .. but I feel it will be way to heavy.. the only aluminum parts I feel i should go with is the knuckles, bulkheads, and deffs.. I know I'm going to need a really good slipper clutch.. got a one in mind but not 100%sure about it yet.. I'm going with a buku clutch with a 16 tooth Clutch bell and 42T spur gear..1mm teeth as well.. i want it to recover it's Original speed As soon as I make A turn Or land a jump but I can use all the help I can get .. it ain't worth it with out Trial-and-error lol.....

Sounds killer so far! Post a build thread for it so we can see it go from the brain to a monster runner!!!:thumbs-up:

I dug up some old articles I used to build my Ultra Lite Maxx years ago.
It was written by a guy named Steve Slayden who raced the TMaxx professionally for the Traxxas factory team.
Although the parts used in the article are out dated/ obsolete, there's some good ideas for weight reduction and track gear ratios.
Hope this helps :thumbs-up:
https://traxxas.com/pitpass/howto/news/Complete-T-Maxx-Performance-Guide-Part-1
https://traxxas.com/pitpass/howto/news/Complete-T-Maxx-Performance-Guide-Part-2
https://traxxas.com/pitpass/howto/news/Complete-T-Maxx-Performance-Guide-Part-3