New T-maxx. Small idle issue.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clod Basher

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey what's up guys. I did a search for Idle and idle problums and just couldnt find one that was exactly like the issue I'm having.

I got her sat. Ran 2 tanks through her and had to put it up. (glow plug busted)

At first she wouldnt idle at all. If you took your finger off the gass she'd just quit. I leaned her out a 1/4 turn and she seemed to like it a bit. She would stay running long enough to slow down and make a turn.

Went to the hobby shop this morning and got a plug ignighter & charger (gota get rid of that wire. OMG it's anoying!!) and 5 new glow plugs and some Byron 20%. (was using the traxxas stuff)

Got her back out today and ran 5 more tanks through her with the Byron fuel. Somewhere between tank 4 and tank 6 she really started running well. Idleing at full brake. (kinda high) Never shut off. I leaned her out on the HSN around tank 6 till I couldnt see any more improvement. Leaned the LSN till she was popin wheel stands on take off, but was dieing out sometimes when you took your finger off the throttle real quick so I richened it back up a bit till it stoped. These settings seem like the best.

Ok. The issue I'm having is the idle is a bit fast. I have the idle screw turned all the way out. The throttle trim is set at 0. If your not holding her with your foot on pavement she just takes off. In the grass, she'll idle without moving. But if you pick her up off the ground she'll rev up to the point of engaging second gear and the wheels stretch out and... you get the picture.

Second small issue I'm having is she sputters a bit when you come back to a full brake idle after a high speed pass. Then smoothe out. Riching the LSN seems to fix it, but then you can't pull a wheelie to save your life.

I'm not sure what I should do. At one time she was idleing to the point that you didnt even need to give her gas to make her scream down the road. Tuning it after the 6'th tank fixed that.

Other then that it's alot of fun and I'm happy with the power and speed. I'm kinda clueless about it though cause this is my first nitro and I have nothing to compair it to. But I think I found the sweet spot, other then the issues I'm having.

I go back to work tomorrow so I wont get to play again till next week. But I can fiddle with it before work this week and really get her set up good for the weekend.

Seth.

Last edited:
You SURE shouldn't be popping wheelies with it yet. A proper break in is the secret to a long, successful life for the engine.
You need to turn the trim all the way down, then hold the trigger in full brake position while lowering the idle. If it won't lower, you'll need to make a mechanical adjustment on your linkage.

You SURE shouldn't be popping wheelies with it yet. A proper break in is the secret to a long, successful life for the engine.

I thought once you were done with 6 tanks of the 1/4, 1/2, full for 3 sec., full for 5 sec stuff, the break in was over? What else needs to be done?

Oh. Ok Heh. Damn I thought for a minute there I had missed a page. Ok I'll take it easy for a while.

Do I put the trim back to 0 after adjusting the idle screw?

Leave the trim all the way off. You only raise it to make it start easier if it needs more fuel, and to let it warm up. Any idle setting needs to be done mechanically.

So ok.. The knob looks like this.......

Lowest -10 ----------- 0 ---------- +10 Highest.

If I keep it on 0 I'll have to do the linkage adjustment then, cause that's where it's at now. Just wondering - Why not just turn it lower on the knob?

Seth.

I guess you can--it can't hurt. I just prefer my trims to be zeroed out vs. cranked to -10. But that is just my opinion. Others will vary.

There's no reason to lower it when it's tuned and set properly. If you bump the trim knob you'll end up with it stalling and wondering what went wrong when it won't start. Set it/forget it. Just use it to start and warm up.
Change the trim and you also change the brake setting.

Gotcha. I'll give it a try tomorrow before work. I'll let yall know how it works.
And thanks a bunch. :)
Seth.

Edit: You guys have any idea how many times during those first 6-7 tanks I wanted to just put it up and break out the electrics?

Last edited:
Edit: You guys have any idea how many times during those first 6-7 tanks I wanted to just put it up and break out the electrics?

Yes, we do. At least I do for sure!

Good luck, Seth.

RC Addict, bite me. :D

I might have rabies... Then again, Nurse Ratched can give you a vaccination while she tucks you in for the night.

Last edited:
Well. Good news is I had it runnin perfect. Was runnin it around in the street and hit a speedbump at WOT. Jumped up 2 or 3 feet, landed on all 4 wheels, hoped once, then shot off to the right. Heh.

Snaped the rear ear on the control arm on the right side. Front ear came off the bar, shock folded in, lower shock boot came flyin off. Sigh. Guess I'll be upgrading it sooner then later.

:D

Seth

Well. Good news is I had it runnin perfect. Was runnin it around in the street and hit a speedbump at WOT. Jumped up 2 or 3 feet, landed on all 4 wheels, hoped once, then shot off to the right. Heh.

Snaped the rear ear on the control arm on the right side. Front ear came off the bar, shock folded in, lower shock boot came flyin off. Sigh. Guess I'll be upgrading it sooner then later.

Seth

WHAT you broke something on a t-maxx what where you thinking? better get her fixed and cleaned up and put her on a shelf to stare at before you give poor rolex a heart attack! :D

on a serious note glad to hear you had fun! now you know why the tmaxx is sometimes called a money pit!!!

Yeah man we had a blast. Buddy got his trucks out. We were runnin for 2 or 3 hours before things started breaking. My buddy denny broke the right rear tire off his truck runnin into a driveway. I'll get her fixed back up and runnin on payday. Maybe we'll take some video next time.

Seth.

You broke something. You had a great time.

We're all glad to hear that. :D

I was tryin to take it easy though??
;)

Back