New member with a couple of questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragons3.3

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
First off hello all,

I am relatively new to nitro I acquired a T-Maxx 2.5 for $150.00 in late February. Well while I was working on my new purchase with multiple trips to the local hobby shop. I fell in love with the Revo. Then I received my economic stimulus check and it was all over. I bought the Revo and a Spektrum DX3.0. To hell with bills right!

Anyway, I bought the Revo 3.3 three weeks ago. First week was shot to hell with work and rain. So for the past couple of weeks I have been braking it in and braking it(with the help of my kids lol). I bought the 3.3 instead of the platinum to have the reverse option. I figured that would be better to have if my kids were driving. I am planning to do both some bashing and racing. All just for fun nothing to hardcore. So on to my questions.

My idle speed seems to be kinda screwy(I guess I am still trying to get it tuned in properly).It will run fine but if it sits at idle for more than about 30 seconds it will cut out and die. I have adjusted the idle speed screw and the low speed needle(sitting at about 10 o'clock still flush) it does not seem to help. My high speed needle is at about 4 and 2/3 out. Oh yeah I am in St.Louis and right now it is in the mid 80s with 41% humidity. So I guess I don't know on that any suggestions?

1.What sway bar manufacturer do you guys and gals use?

2.What spring rate/shock oil do you recommend for a overall mid range setup?

Thanks Guys and Gals!!

Dragons

P.S. Rolex your paint job on the truckling is unbelievable! :bow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, again.
Okay, when you've run it and warmed it up, how does it take off from a dead stop?
After it shifts, how does it run at full throttle?

Thanks, again.
Okay, when you've run it and warmed it up, how does it take off from a dead stop?
After it shifts, how does it run at full throttle?

Well at the moment it damn near pulls the wheels off of the ground. I do think it needs a little adjustment to the transmission shift point going into second. It seems to run a little longer than needed before the shift into second. At the moment I cannot run it very long in second I run out of room after about 2-3 seconds after hitting second gear.

Are you able to get temp reads? There's a good possibility that you are a bit lean on the LSN, but a temp check would help ID that.
When tuning, you need to set your idle screw with the trim turned all the way down to zero, and the brake applied.
Tuning is one thing, but the other info will have to wait for the Revo guys.

Are you able to get temp reads? There's a good possibility that you are a bit lean on the LSN, but a temp check would help ID that.
When tuning, you need to set your idle screw with the trim turned all the way down to zero, and the brake applied.
Tuning is one thing, but the other info will have to wait for the Revo guys.

I knew I didn't purchase something today(temp gun)! Damn it is always something :LoL:!! I can do that tonight before I go to the womans house. So I should be able to get a reading for you tomorrow. What temp range should I be in? I have about 7 tanks run through the engine at the moment.

220-240, but give or take some, depending on performance. When it's running well, take a read and let us know what you have.

lol thats if u want ur engine to last long :p. i race mine and it runs at about 250-300. but its not worth the money believe me to have to change piston and cylinder very often.

i have the 2.5r and i run it around 260 and its got gallons on it

Ok the reading from this morning were as follows: 1st tank 220-230 2nd tank 225-245 degrees. Air temp was 82 degrees the humidity @ 47%. I took multiple readings during the 2 tanks trying to get a proper range. I still have a ton of unburnt fuel/oil coming out of the stock pipe. I am using Traxxas Top Fuel @ 20%. Is this normal for the temps I am running?

If you have good take off, good top end, and those are the temps you are running, you're just fine. It's oil you're getting out of the pipe, and that's what protects the engine.

Take it out and break something on it. It all sounds good.

Take it out and break something on it. It all sounds good.

I have!!!! And I will!!:) I almost took out a mailbox(I should have blamed that on my boys)!! How about the other questions on the set-up guys and gals?

p.s. Today it would cut out at idle. It only happened a couple of times while waiting for cars to get out of the way. Should I just bump the idle up a little?

Last edited:
When necessary, you can raise the idle with the throttle trim tab on the radio. I only use that for starting and warm up, so you will want to do a mechanical adjustment on it once you know everything else is good.

( I adjusted your post to get the attention where it's needed from the Revo folks.)

Last edited:
Thanks Rolex I appreciate it very much! I am going to trash it after I get something to eat.

P.S. How do you like being a moderator? I am one on a gaming site also Fun isn't it...:ahem:

The hours are unbearable, and the pay is barely enough to support my Manhattan penthouse, my summer place in Martha's Vineyard and my lavish lifestyle, but the enjoyment I get from annoying as many members as possible, makes it all worth while.

lol u don't really annoy us Rolex just bc YOU NEVER DRIVE YOUR TRUCKS IT DRIVES US NUTS LOL

Ok so I took it out and broke it again :yes: I really did. I should be working for Traxxas in their quality control department.:LoL: Well I pulled the left rear shock shaft out of the Aluminum rod ends. 1st time for the aluminum 3rd time on same shock total. I think the mini servo for the transmission is on its way out. There is a lot of chatter in shifting from reverse to forward(in the linkage). And finally when I hit the throttle the engine would rev the gears would spin and nothing. Well I took it to my LHS and my main man Denny fixed the throttle issue. I am going to have to get a hold of Traxxas tomorrow about the rear shock and servo. Well Rolex I succeeded in breaking it today I guess that was the reason for this post.:LoL:

p.s. Any of you Revo guys have any suggestions for my questions in my first post? Besides the tuning that is...:ponder2:

you broke which part of the shock??

you broke which part of the shock??

Well Bob I guess "broke" might be the wrong word. It is fixable(I think) I should be able to just screw the shock shaft back into the aluminum rod end. I hope! Well all I am off to call Traxxas and to get dirty with my shock repair.:)

Traxxas sway bar kit, silver sway bar front and rear.
I think I have gold springs in the rear, orange in the front. It is the same as the platinum comes for sure. Always run a stiffer rear spring than the front has.
60 wt. oil in the rear, 50 in the front. Add a set of 1/2" offset wheels and you'll have a corner happy Revo.

Back