new member and first time t maxx owner

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayoitsjus10

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hello rcnitrotalk world I'm new to th rc world and i got a good deal on a tmaxx lets just say i got it for 45 bucks(item i traded was wroth that much)
I'm trying to get it as a truggy look and I've search and search seen many pics and threads but no on shows there setup and what to strictly buy to make it a truggy LOOK.i just want to accomplish a low stance wing a crowd pleazer body i am just confused on suspension on what to use to get the low stance
SDC10743-1.jpg
also i really like these wheels if someone that knows what they are i would really appreciate it if you could tell me thank you

Pretty much everyone who has a T-Maxx truggy type conversion custom built their parts such as shock towers. From the pic though it looks like it sits more like a truggy, but it also looks like it has the big wide heavy tires on it too which robs power from the engine. The tires look like the pro line crime fighters 40 series. No need for that wide of a tire, the standard size crime fighters would be better. The wheels are 40 series wheels. I dont know what theyre called but its very possible they only come in that size. Either way converting it into a truggy would not be cheap and could possibly cost as much as a new rtr truggy out of the box. I hope I helped some.

You can go to a 4 shock set up vs 8 stock. Use the mount points closest to inside wheel on lower suspension arms. Lower the body post mounts on towers and find a 1/8 scale truggy body to custom fit to it. This is gonna take you making cut outs on the body to fit the 1/10 scale tmaxx. Get a traxxas tmaxx wing mount set and wing. Like stated above find you a standard size set if truggy dish wheels and tires. This should get you very close to the look your wanting. Keep in mind you may get the tmaxx to look like a truggy but it will never perform like one without a whole pile of money sunk into custom parts and a center diff kit to replace your 2 speed tranny.

The only real way to convert a maxx to 100% truggy is buy a mutant truggy conversion, or a JT Racing hybrid conversion which all have been discontinued now. May be able to find one on egay but they usually don't sell cheap.:D Other than that, you could get yourself a good 1/8th scale BB conversion some racer X or FLM shocktowers so you can run a truggy set of shocks and just start custom building one yourself, that's what I am in the process of doing now.

thanks for the help guys yeah i am just trying to get the look of a truggy thats all I'm not trying to race with it.maybe down the road ill pick up a regular buggy and do some races in arizona we've got many tracks here.but for now I'm just starting trying to get to the basic down

---------- Post added at 8:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:36 AM ----------

hulk maxx i just ordered a the flm shock towers
what truggy shock do u reccomened me getting?

thanks for the help guys yeah i am just trying to get the look of a truggy thats all I'm not trying to race with it.maybe down the road ill pick up a regular buggy and do some races in arizona we've got many tracks here.but for now I'm just starting trying to get to the basic down

---------- Post added at 8:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:36 AM ----------

hulk maxx i just ordered a the flm shock towers
what truggy shock do u reccomened me getting?

Go with the ue supershock,

transmited from a mobile communications device

I second that! I love my UE supershocks.

Part number or link on which one? Please

---------- Post added at 4:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:46 PM ----------

Nevermind i found it and those are a pretty penny i dontwant to invest in that much on shocks is there anything cheaper

those front arms look like integy not sure but if they are do yourself a favor and order you some rpm arms much better than any aluminum arms on a truck thats actually going to be run

Part number or link on which one? Please

---------- Post added at 4:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:46 PM ----------

Nevermind i found it and those are a pretty penny i dontwant to invest in that much on shocks is there anything cheaper

Losi eight T 2.0 shocks are a really good shock also. That's what I will be running on my race maxx project. A lot better on the price also.

U got a link where i can find those i searhed and ill i found was the acutal truggy and is that a 4 shocks setup

U got a link where i can find those i searhed and ill i found was the acutal truggy and is that a 4 shocks setup

Yes it is a four shock setup. Ebay is the best place to buy the losi shocks from. I got the rears for $35.00 and fronts for $25. I switched the weight oil in rears to 50 weight to make it a little stiffer. I installed them on another maxx truck I have and test run them they soaked up the jumps with no problem.:D I am also running the FLM shock towers. And I would also ditch the aluminum arms in favor of the RPM arms.

Sounds like a good setup and very reasonable pricing I will look on ebay
Wat wheels urge commend using I was leaning wit 40 bow ties and the ofna 17 mm hub adapters
I really like that spoke look on the PCM above if u can lead me towards soe brands to look at I would appreciate it

---------- Post added at 7:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:40 PM ----------

U recommend

---------- Post added at 7:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:43 PM ----------

Question by any chance u got a link where u got it on ebay

---------- Post added at 8:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:54 PM ----------

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Losi-Front-...adio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item53f7327d8c

Sounds like a good setup and very reasonable pricing I will look on ebay
Wat wheels urge commend using I was leaning wit 40 bow ties and the ofna 17 mm hub adapters
I really like that spoke look on the PCM above if u can lead me towards soe brands to look at I would appreciate it

---------- Post added at 7:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:40 PM ----------

U recommend

---------- Post added at 7:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:43 PM ----------

Question by any chance u got a link where u got it on ebay

The 40 series are good, that's what I run on my revo. The pic you posted above, looks like it has bowtie tires installed. I like the losi eight t 2.0 wheels and tires, also. I think duratrax makes some nice truggy style wheels also think they are Xcons. I would go with the 17mm hex though.

I suggest staying away from 40 series. Too big, and a noticeable loss of power. All though the bowties are lighter than most 40 series theyre still 2 times heavier than the originals. If your running both on road and off road then get the stock traxxas maxx tires if your going strictly dirt then go ahead and get something similar to bowties. Asphalt and cement eat up tires like a 600 pound guy eating a cheeseburger especially tires like the bowties. Wheels vary as long as you get the right size wheel (depends on the tires you choose.) Check out amainhobbies.com for a huge variety of tires and wheels. Just dont get the wrong kind.

Losi 8ight shocks are very nice shocks but I'm not sure how well they would fit the maxx. I know the Kyosho Neo series shocks would fit much better and run about $22 for a set of 2 on ebay, but they are plastic. The 8ight shocks are nicer as far as durability and reliability since theyre aluminum, but the Kyosho Neos I'm sure will fit a lot better as they are connected to the shock tower via ball bearing hex screw that goes directly into your shock tower versus a long screw through your shock tower, a shock mount that goes around the screw that varies in size, and a nut that tightens it. I have the losi 8ight shocks on my XTM XT2 buggy and I had to do some drilling to both my a arms and my shocks to make them fit. I also have the Kyosho Neo shocks on my XTM XST which were an exact fit with no mods at all where as if I were to get another set of losi shocks, I would have had to make the same mods I had to make to my XT2. I also think the front shocks from either company would work well with the T maxx because theyre so short. The a arms may not go up all the way when landing jumps forcing the shock body to act as a shock as well. It may stress out the shock body and cause it to crack or break in pieces. You also dont want your shocks too stiff because they can bend really easily if they are. On a truggy the a arms usually sit level with the height of the chassis and sometimes the rear of the truggy sits a little lower as softer rear shocks make landing jumps easier to control preventing the vehicle to bounce around so much on landing. Also the plastic rpm a arms are definitely a must for the T Maxx. My Maxx though has aluminum front a arms on it to keep the front end planted on the ground, but the rears are plastic.

I suggest staying away from 40 series. Too big, and a noticeable loss of power. All though the bowties are lighter than most 40 series theyre still 2 times heavier than the originals. If your running both on road and off road then get the stock traxxas maxx tires if your going strictly dirt then go ahead and get something similar to bowties. Asphalt and cement eat up tires like a 600 pound guy eating a cheeseburger especially tires like the bowties. Wheels vary as long as you get the right size wheel (depends on the tires you choose.) Check out amainhobbies.com for a huge variety of tires and wheels. Just dont get the wrong kind.

Losi 8ight shocks are very nice shocks but I'm not sure how well they would fit the maxx. I know the Kyosho Neo series shocks would fit much better and run about $22 for a set of 2 on ebay, but they are plastic. The 8ight shocks are nicer as far as durability and reliability since theyre aluminum, but the Kyosho Neos I'm sure will fit a lot better as they are connected to the shock tower via ball bearing hex screw that goes directly into your shock tower versus a long screw through your shock tower, a shock mount that goes around the screw that varies in size, and a nut that tightens it. I have the losi 8ight shocks on my XTM XT2 buggy and I had to do some drilling to both my a arms and my shocks to make them fit. I also have the Kyosho Neo shocks on my XTM XST which were an exact fit with no mods at all where as if I were to get another set of losi shocks, I would have had to make the same mods I had to make to my XT2. I also think the front shocks from either company would work well with the T maxx because theyre so short. The a arms may not go up all the way when landing jumps forcing the shock body to act as a shock as well. It may stress out the shock body and cause it to crack or break in pieces. You also dont want your shocks too stiff because they can bend really easily if they are. On a truggy the a arms usually sit level with the height of the chassis and sometimes the rear of the truggy sits a little lower as softer rear shocks make landing jumps easier to control preventing the vehicle to bounce around so much on landing. Also the plastic rpm a arms are definitely a must for the T Maxx. My Maxx though has aluminum front a arms on it to keep the front end planted on the ground, but the rears are plastic.

If your going to use the losi eight shocks you need to use a FLM or racer x style shock tower to have proper operation of the shock. I can tell yah for sure that the 40 series wheels I am running on my revo are lighter than the stock maxx series wheels and tires. I used to race my revo at the local track a lot and it performed great running the 40 series wheels. Yes if your running on asphalt you would not want to run the bowties. And my maxx with the losi shocks handle big air with no problem. I bought a set just to stress test before installing them on my race rig wich is a custom BB maxx truck I am putting together to compete at the local track this year.

If your going to use the losi eight shocks you need to use a FLM or racer x style shock tower to have proper operation of the shock. I can tell yah for sure that the 40 series wheels I am running on my revo are lighter than the stock maxx series wheels and tires. I used to race my revo at the local track a lot and it performed great running the 40 series wheels. Yes if your running on asphalt you would not want to run the bowties. And my maxx with the losi shocks handle big air with no problem. I bought a set just to stress test before installing them on my race rig wich is a custom BB maxx truck I am putting together to compete at the local track this year.

Not to sound rude so please dont take any offense to this but I'm sure if you got 17mm hubs and a set of AKA Racing soft or super soft pre mounted cityblock or gridiron tires (depends on the type of tack and surface you race on,) they will drastically outperform 40 series bowties. 40 series do help prevent flipping in corners since theyre so wide, but if your racing your vehicle should not be set up so high off the ground.

I am aware that the stock Maxx tires are heavier than your 40 series bowties, but they are a much much better choice for on road use and still perform decent off road as they are made to be all terrain tires.

Not to sound rude so please dont take any offense to this but I'm sure if you got 17mm hubs and a set of AKA Racing soft or super soft pre mounted cityblock or gridiron tires (depends on the type of tack and surface you race on,) they will drastically outperform 40 series bowties. 40 series do help prevent flipping in corners since theyre so wide, but if your racing your vehicle should not be set up so high off the ground.

I am aware that the stock Maxx tires are heavier than your 40 series bowties, but they are a much much better choice for on road use and still perform decent off road as they are made to be all terrain tires.

Probably so but back in the day when I was into the race thing 40 series was what pretty much what everyone run. I was just simply stating that the 40 series wheels with bowties are lighter than the factory maxx wheels. I personally prefer Gs sut truggy wheels with the porline bowties due to being lighter and they have a better offset with a 17mm hex. But they have all been discontinued. I just recently started to get back into the race scene this year. And the only reason why is because the local track has started a modified monster truck class as I am not much of a truggy guy anyhow.

I remember that. I ran 40 series myself on my t maxx. Still have the tires, almost brand new probably never to be used again. Monster truck class is fun though. The can corner much sharper than a truggy because of the narrow wheel base but also flip much easier from it. They are more of a challenge to race than the truggies due to the cornering which is why I believe they died in popularity so quickly.

I remember that. I ran 40 series myself on my t maxx. Still have the tires, almost brand new probably never to be used again. Monster truck class is fun though. The can corner much sharper than a truggy because of the narrow wheel base but also flip much easier from it. They are more of a challenge to race than the truggies due to the cornering which is why I believe they died in popularity so quickly.

Yah I was surprised when my buddy told me they were starting a monster truck class again. When I heard that I was stoked. Nothing wrong with a truggy I just prefer a monster truck. I have a highly modified GS SUT truggy that is practically, new just never really cared for the truggy thing. I would like to have a HPI Hellfire though. Of course the maxx I am putting together will be more truggy like than monster truck.

Back