New Maxx Review (FastEddy)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FastEddy

The Slowest Guy In Town
Supporter
RCTalk Vendor
Reaction score
I had a chance to drive the new Maxx yesterday.
Not to sure what to say about the truck itself; It’s a T-Maxx.
It looks like a T, Smells like a T, and drives like a T. Yes the A arms are a bit wider and give the truck a bit more stability.

On the other hand the 2.5 is awesome. Can you say GRUNT? Low end up the kazoo, excellent mid range and the high end is the same as you would expect from a Fantom or an OS racing engine. Traxxas did an excellent job on the 2.5 engine. IMO it will be the engine to compare all others to for the .15 MT World. I just hope it has a good life cycle, only time will tell.

Traxxas still doesn’t get it when it comes to mounting the carb… The LSN is still hidden and is near impossible to adjust. It seems as if they went out of their way to do this. If they flipped the carb at the factory the linkage setup would have been much simpler than it is out of the box.

The Maxx will do a wheelie out of the box. Well, kind of.. it will lift front wheels a bit.
We all saw the wheelie video posted on the Traxxas site. **IMO** What they didn’t tell you is that wasn’t a stock out of the box setup. In order to wheelie on command like in the video we had to drop to a smaller bell. We used a 16t.

All and all; If you are going to get a new Maxx you’ll love it and wont be disappointed for the rest of us lets see what the life cycle on the 2.5 is. If it’s as good as I hope by all means go get one..

Last edited:
Thanks for that review eddy, nice to see a little review that wasn't all falling over the product. It is a little interesting about the wheelies, HW and OQ said their truck was completely stock. Hmmm interesting indeed.

About the carb, it makes you wonder why? Why they don't quite get that it is so hard to adjust the LSN, an important part of tuning, with the way it is set up. It would be so easy to fix it if they wanted to.

nd

It might have wheelied with a 17,18, or 19t bell but all I had with me was a 16.
Don’t get me wrong the 2.5 is strong.

FastEddy is the new engine considered a small block or big block???

It's considered a big block .15 by most people's rules, but TRAXXAS hesitates or refuses to call it such.

BTW Eddy, good to see you do a review of the new T (despite your early misgivings ;) ).

Originally posted by SkyMaxx
It's considered a big block .15 by most people's rules, but TRAXXAS hesitates or refuses to call it such.

BTW Eddy, good to see you do a review of the new T (despite your early misgivings ;) ).

After looking at all the pics of it thats what I was thinking, now I would like to know how it stands up to other BB.15s out there.

You, me and the rest of the world on that count.

If you believe the TRAXXAS hype, it is the most powerful engine in its class and will blow any .15 away and some .21s, too. I will wait for the reviews by third parties to roll in (magazine types). They usually do more in depth comparisons.

Its not that I dont beleave Traxxas in there sales pitch but I dont beleave any sales pitch. Like you SkyMaxx I think it would be better to wait and see what comes out for its spec's in the r/c mags.

FastEddy is the new engine considered a small block or big block???
I just read the 2.5 is a small block.

Like I said, TRAXXAS considers all .15s to be small block rc engines. They don't believe in the concept of a big block .15. I read the same thing.

The specs on that engine would make it fall into the category of big block .15.

I was glad to read your post Eddy because my new 2.5 "wheelies" like you describe.

I just can't believe they would change the gear and then present it as if it were stock. I just figured I don't know how to tune it right.

I like the new truck but there is apparently some marketing hype. I don't know why I expected otherwise.

I put a long post on http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106045

Nice review. Hopefully, TRAXXAS will appreciate it also. Some people like fair and honest assessments; others run from them...

Martinmarty Thanks for the nice review I hope you get many hours of fun from your new maxx:classic:

Thanks, guys. Fortunately I mainly liked the truck or I guess I would've been posting my review over here instead of on the Traxxas site! ;) I had my doubts at the beginning but everything worked out OK. I got some good play time in today on some fun terrain and had good results. I put an update over in http://monster.traxxas.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106045

Back