new guy needs help..4.6 or tmaxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadabout

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
just curious to what all you veterans think. i am getting a nitro mt for me and my boy...was looking at the tmaxx..but after more reading..i hear the savage 4.6 is a pretty tough truck. help me out here guys..and if i get the savage..id like a link or sumthin for a metal spur and any other recomendations..thanks alot everyone

I don't own a T-Maxx...BUT I've seen plenty of them and went up against one at our track once (both of us were driving MTs for fun on the track). Based on what I saw, my Savage performed exceptionally better in every way to the point it was almost sad. To be fair, his engine was all out of tune (or I hope it was) and he did not have suspension set up well, his clutch was slipping to the point he could barely line up jumps, etc.--but it was what it was. I also know a few folks that have both and they all say Savage. T-Maxx guys please don't come at me like a bunch of hornets. ;-) I know plenty of people that love their T-Maxx...and the guy who mentored me the most in this hobby, the T-Maxx was his all-time favorite - but he never owned a Savage. So I imagine you'll like the T-Maxx, but am very confident you'll love the Savage.

Additionally, not sure your reasoning for wanting a metal spur gear, but I've yet to strip mine...if that helps.

Bzzzz, bzzzzz..sting, sting, sting

all I've heard about the savage is great..i hear it will take a beating..i like the aggresive look of it..and like the 3 speed trans option. I'm just getting into this, and i know ppl who have traxxas stuff..and i like bein the odd ball..but dont wanna be odd..if the savage is not worth it. so just hopped on here and figure id ask ppls experiences with both..

Savage is a bit tougher out of the box compared to the maxx, theres a lot more that can be done to the maxx imo

Savage is a great truck , Simple as that...

You'll not be disapointed.....

I've owned both, several different times. Had about 10 T-Maxx trucks and prolly 4 or 5 Savage trucks. I always went with the Maxx. Maybe because that's what I cut my teeth on when i first got into nitro. But, i would rather work on a Maxx than a Savage, just easier to get to stuff IMO. As far as durability, i broke just as many parts on both trucks, usually a-arms. Hard to say which is best because everyone has their own opinions.

-NB

I second what buzzard said. But I haven't owned any traxxas. The savage is a great truck, I've had many of them. They are just a little more difficult to work on than a tmaxx or monster gt.

I've owned both, several different times. Had about 10 T-Maxx trucks and prolly 4 or 5 Savage trucks. I always went with the Maxx. Maybe because that's what I cut my teeth on when i first got into nitro. But, i would rather work on a Maxx than a Savage, just easier to get to stuff IMO. As far as durability, i broke just as many parts on both trucks, usually a-arms. Hard to say which is best because everyone has their own opinions.

-NB

I agree , very well put...:thumbs-up:

Thanx for the input..

Definitely would say Maxx is easier to work on. I have a 5.9 and a 3.3. I haven't ran my savage yet, waiting on a receiver pack. I have to say the savage is tougher. That maxx gas tank and a-arms are killers.

My name has nothing to do with the truck, fyi.

hehe i love drudging up old posts!!https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97841

it all depends on how much of your hard earned cash you want to part with up front. upgrading to make the truck as indestructable as you can. tmaxx is pretty squishy right out of the box. a savage is pretty indestructable out of the box! i will give traxxas customer service an A+, though!

SDC11450_zpsd89453fc.jpg

SDC11449_zps0a8bc0cc.jpg

SDC11445_zps67e8bf1c.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any hobby shops close to you? See what they support the most of as well. When I started, my LHS supported Traxxas more than HPI so parts were plentiful for the T-Maxx. That in itself would be a big factor for me in deciding which truck to buy.

thanks guys..I'm leaning towards the savage. like i said earlier..nothing against traxxas..but every person i know that has a nitro..its a traxxas..and thats not many ppl..i only know like 2 ppl with nitros..lol. i just think ill get a spur gear..for the fact I've heard so many say that they strip easily..any suggestions on which spur to get? how many teeth and what not..maybe the best place to get one..i may look at a arms as well..

than thats a bonus!!

I'd get the savage, but that's all the MTs I have, except for a junk XXL. Having LHS support can be helpful, but shouldn't be the deciding factor. I get all my savage stuff online if you find the right place a lot of them ship for free, if you purchase the required amount to qualify for free shipping.

I've got one like the above posted pic... But blue!

You'll find lots of help from fellow owners, ('Savage guys' are a close-nit group). It's not as durable out of the box as you might here - although compared to the T-Maxx I imagine it is. The beautiful thing about the Savage is its platform. You can fairly easily turn it into whatever you like. People get VERY creative with them. That's why I'd recommend just getting it--enjoying it--and then if something breaks address it. Additionally, once you get your pulse on its stock capabilities, then look for performance/setup changes.

The only design flaw is the suspension block system. I'm finding it's the root of multiple issues I've had. There are ways to work-around it, but there are also trade-offs for doing it. I'm designing something now to take care of it once and for all.

With all that, it a blast to drive and a great way to take out some aggression! The only thing right out of the gate I'd recommend is a wheelie bar and skid plate. I had no idea how much fun wheelies could be, and once you get it setup in what I call 'wheelie mode', oh my! I can ride wheelies all day. :first_place:

Also, I always heard they were a PIA in the wrench on, but I'm finding just the opposite. I think they are one of the easiest vehicles to work on. It depends how you like to wrench. I like to tear down (instead of trying to 'get to' things)...so it' perfect for me.

Finally - don't recall if you noted you are new to nitro or not, but there is a bit of a learning curve. It's not that difficult, just takes a little tenacity and patience, as most people make a slew of mistakes at first...but that is the best way to learn. With nitro there is a right way and then a wrong way to do things....very little margin for error.

Last edited:
thanks bud! i am new..i had a nitro yrs and yrs ago..lol but wanted one now that a buddy got his..and i love to work on stuff..i have a 1980 k5 blazer thats my real mt. (well workin on it) i will def get a skid plate..just trying to find the best and cheapest one stop shop online for what i need..i appreciate all the help..and I'm sure i will have a blast!

There both good trucks but I think the savage x is the better choice they are tanks out of the box but id recommend getting the ss kits and built them yourself. plus with the kit you get some hop ups you woundnt with the rtr. And you know its put together right not by someone in a factory waiting for the day to end. That's my advice go with the savage x ss kits plus it would be fun to build with you boy if hes old enough

yea..i dot know if i can do the ss...been out of work..and its out of my budget. so from what I'm eading wherever i go..i am pretty sure i will go with the savage x. I'm just hopin for alot of enjoyment out of it!

Back