new clutch bell = NO WHEELIES

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chowmanstoys

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
put in a 18 tooth bell today thinkin i was gonna be see some action,
sad to say no wheelies,
do you think i should have to tune it some?
lsn or hsn and or the idle screw have any thing to do with it?

i really want to do some wheelies
I'm running a 72 spur too.

is the 18 tooth bigger or smaller than previous? also what orientation is the clutch shoes?

I agree with Zdragon71..drop down a few more teeth.
1. check your clutch shoes, they'll bite quicker if you flip them around (laying clockwise). Like dub c said.
2. lean out your mixture a little...you might be running too rich to bring the front up.
3. stiffen up your suspension with heavier springs.
4. Last (but only has a last resort effort) you can to tighten your slipper clutch, but not all the way down or you'll be ripping your tranny apart to replace chewed up gears!

#4 would be the VERY LAST thing to try..it may seem the easiest, but you might regret it after your 2nd or 3rd tank! HAPPY WHEELIES!!!

was running 20 tooth with 72 spur
i was told 18 t would have me wheels in the air.

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

what do you mean by orientation of the clutch shoes?
kinda new to the nitros.

how do you have your suspension set up? what hole do you have your shocks in? i run a an 16/72 combo with a 2.5r and it will wheelie on demand. if you want more top end speed go with a 18 or 20. your suspension set up will also play a big factor in pulling the front end up !

^+1^ On the suspension setup. If you have a "soft" setup it will absorb the power instead of putting it to the ground. A stiffer setup (stiffer springs and thicker oil) will help your problem. I would say your tune as well might need to be leaner on the lsn for better lowend performance to get the wheels in the air. Lock your slipperclutch all the way down too. If all these dont do it let us know

Chowman, you might not get wheelies out of that motor. I'm running a maxx with an OS .18 engine. It runs well but very seldom does wheelies. That engine is only a .15. You might need a bigger engine. Some day when you can afford to do so, get you a Maxx with a 3.3 in it. It will do all the wheelies you want. I have a 3.3 Maxx and 3.3 Revo and both of them will do a wheelie as far as you dare hold down the throttle.

Before I upgraded to the OS I had the 2.5 and could whelie on demend. Its all about your tune. I had the original Tmaxx when they first came out and could wheelie that as well so again its about the setup your running and not the size of the motor

I'm running hpi savage tires
would that make a diff?

---------- Post added at 3:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:26 PM ----------

do you have to tune engine if you change to lower tooth bell
if i get it utned with the 18 t, would i have to tune for 16t or back to 20t?

bigger or heavier tires will affect your abilities to pull the front end up. for example: big joes are heavy, thus need more power from you motor. what type of hpi tires are you running?

can't get a good tune out of it.....

---------- Post added at 5:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:53 PM ----------

I'm thinking maybe install a coulpe mammbas on it instead.....

Thats a heavy tire and will counter act your attempts at wheelies. If you can't get a good tune have you sealed the motor? Where are your needles set at? Fresh fuelines? Clean airfilter? All of these will affect your tune.

needles set at hsn 4 ,lsn 2
freash gas lines new tank,clean filter,sealed moto,clutch spring looks good
i took off a fuel filter too.was getting bubbles in line

---------- Post added at 8:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 8:54 PM ----------

can i move the shocks in on the a arm and out on the tower,to help stiffen up??

A good starting point for the shocks is the most inner on the a arms and the middle position on the shock tower. Probably the best for easy wheelies.

Back