New 2.5 ez start problems

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjw350

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
1st I'd like to thank Niffken for helping me out with my new maxx. Niffken was a great help. Also thanks for the link to the forums.

Ok I've had it for about a week. 2 1/2 quarts through it. To the best of my knowledge I Broke it in correctly via the manual. My 1st R/c nitro. My problem is that yesterday the engine became flooded and my ez start wouldn't work, so I followed the manual to clear the flooded engine. Then the glow plug light wouldn't come on. So I switched glow plugs- actually tried 3 new ones and 2 old ones- The light won't come on- at the ez start. I got extremely frustrated last night as I've spent way too much money on this thing to break on the 1st week. I regrouped this morning taking the wires off and thinking that they were the problem and they weren't. So then all of a sudden the glow plug light cam on and it fired up. Ran it and it was running good. Then it dies and won't restart. No glow plug light on the ez starter. Do I need a glow plug ignitor?

I can't figure out what could be the matter with it- its almost brand new. I'm going to call traxxas tommarrow and see whats up but could the ez start system be bad or what. Also heres a list of parts that have broken/bent after regular riding. Not really abused.

Front left lower a-arm snapped where the bolt goes through it- ordered a complete proline kit- a very low speed impact

antenna tube came off and antenna got stuck in the wheel destroying 1/2 of it. - ordered a new one

body mounts are bent from flipping over while doing wheelies

Small brake tube cracked in half- so brake pressure is at around 50%

I dissapointed at this new maxx that I got since Its only 3/4 of a week old. i can't imagine what else will break on it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Last edited:
I have a felling that it is the easy starter my man. Becase if you droped a new plug in there you shuold have been ready to rock. I have not seen on of the new starters so I dont know if it will start without the wires hooked to the glowplug. I have a feeling there is a short in this wiring. If you can crank the motor with the wires pulld off the glow plug which I assume you can so you can clear motor when it floods then I would locate someone with a glow plgu ignitor or go to a lhs ans see of they will help you try to start it with the glow plug ignitor then you know for sure its a problem with the easy start 2 or its wiring. I would bet its a 95% chance that is your issue. Also I feel for you in that you are having issues breaking parts but it does happen my man.. So get used to it or go really slow in open areas.. X

Welcome to RCNitroTalk. Good to see ya here.

The new EZ start has had some issues with some of the internal wiring. You may want to contact TRAXXAS and lay the story out for them. They will most likely replace the EZ start for you.

Welcome to the board.

BTW be prepared to spend money regularly...the T-Maxx is solid, but anyone who drives it worth a darn will break something almost routinely. Your best bet is to get a pretty healthy stash of spare parts or upgrade known weak areas. There are plenty of hop-ups out there and yes the new Maxx is mostly compatible with old Maxx parts (very few areas where things are different).

Again...Welcome to the board.

I just got my maxx yesterday, I did a full inspection, then locktite.
I have a strong backround in electronics, so I decided to see what the easy start was made of. Well right of the bat I can tell you all what will probably be 80% of all related problems.
The male plug on the truck is not the correct match for it's female counterpart. female is one size too small. I am a purchasing mngr for a marine navigation electronics company, and trust me I know connectors. When you match up that style of connectors you can't buy a , lets say.05 male to go with a .05 female, you need a .06 female, get me? Now the problem is that although they make contact the pins can slide in thier harness from pressure unevenly thus stopping function of say the glowplug circuit, or the starter motor . I am changing out the plug with a suitable substitute because I am getting random contact just from testing.

I hope my last post was helpul, I see no one has replied. Now I have fully broken in my maxx with the new harness, I am skating
I mean I have had not a problem.

I think all the problems are rotating around the ex start system. SOmetimes the gears within the ezstart system get dirty or whatever they do and will not turn when you press the button. You can drill a small hole into the back of the ex-start gear case and blow air into the gears to get the gears turning again.

The glow plug problem could be a matter of a non-conductive ground, or at least at times. Remove the ground, clean the contacts and reattach.

If neither of these work then it\'s probably a faults ex-start handle thingy, whatever youcall the new plug in button/battery pack.

A lot of thew problems I've ready with the new easy start is that the glo plug heat part of it doenst work well and that the wire is crap ... i dont have one just what i read every one was using a gloignitor to solve that for now

Rob

I have fixed my problem, instead of installing new pins I used a small screw to open up the female pins on the easy start side. I have fully broken in my maxx now, let me tell ya, wheelies on demand, no problem! The only gripe I have is I'm still fine tuning, being a newbie, it has proved to ba a challenge.:D

i have had some problems with the new ez start gears and housing. i just ordered new gears and houding for them. the gears are real soft and break easy. i found the best way to keep this from happening is to start the truck with the glo plug lose and tighting it up after truck is running. 8-0

i have a question for all of you have. has anyone put a pull starter on thier 2.5? if so how did it work and where did you get it and how much?

I haven’t seen a conversion kit yet.
If someone finds one please let me know as well.

i tried to make one for the 15 work but where the starter moounts to the motor is different

Hey, just got a 2.5 with pull start, I think its easier (simpler) than the EZ start, I don't know of any conversion kits, but I'll let you know:)

traxxstang, kudos to you for using the search .......but if you notice the last post was 3-1/2 years ago LOL

SkyMaxx said:
Welcome to the board.

BTW be prepared to spend money regularly...the T-Maxx is solid, but anyone who drives it worth a darn will break something almost routinely. Your best bet is to get a pretty healthy stash of spare parts or upgrade known weak areas. There are plenty of hop-ups out there and yes the new Maxx is mostly compatible with old Maxx parts (very few areas where things are different).

Again...Welcome to the board.

Ditto

I usualy either order extra parts for stuff I break or an upgraded part to replace it with. Anyways, if the new EZ start system sux that bad, just buy the parts off an old Maxx. The wiring is only 5 bux and the rest can be had for cheap off ebay.

Ray