Nerds and geeks, gather 'round

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rolex

Hoof Hearted
In Memoriam
Supporter
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
It's 2 AM and I've had it. My computer can not find the cd/dvd drive.
It's apparently an error in the registry.
Without having to buy another program, how can I fix this?

Whatever you're about to suggest I've already done, so you better come up with something creative.

Is this just BS to get me to buy the program? I've already run Regedit and Uniblu Powersuite.

Screen1.jpg

Looks like you've got some cleaning up to do... WinZip Registry Optimizer removal instructions.

Once completely removed via the link above be sure to perform a windows update, update your anti-virus and malwarebytes then run a full malwarebytes scan. Once completed then perform a full virus scan on your pc.

Good luck!

You've already tried swapping out the drive?

What about switching headers?

My last motherboard had one of the drive control headers die on it. Just one. I switched the plug over to an empty one and it worked fine after that.

I honestly can't remember the last time I had to use my cd/dvd drive.

Probably when i built this new rig and had to install windows on it. :hehe:

Did you do a drive swap?

If so, was it a secondary slave drive you replaced?

I did the swap. There are 2 burners in there, but only one is wired, presently. I swapped them out and got the message that the driver installation had failed.
I also changed the boot priority but nothing changed. The drive will open, close and blink for 10 seconds, then nothing. There is no F drive.
I needed to burn some iTunes to a CD for the car. That's what started this.
I haven't used it in a few months, but I'm unable to find a working solution.

WoodiE, I'll try your recommendations and let you know later.

Top 2 bays are DVD burners. The cooling monitor takes up the next 2 bays and the bottom bay is blank. Below the blank bay is a rack for 5 HDDs, 3 of them being in use.

Sentry.jpg

Even better....
C21.jpg

Did you try turning it off and then back on?

Lol jk

Right now you have a program that causes these issues on a computer:
  • Winzip Registry Optimizer pops up fake registry errors to violate users’s money.
  • Winzip Registry Optimizer adds new entries and makes changes to mess up the compromised computer
  • Winzip Registry Optimizer creates torrents and installs additional threats.
  • Winzip Registry Optimizer facilitates cyber criminals by opening backdoors for hackers
  • Winzip Registry Optimizer steals users’ important information for commercial purpose.
Right now you have some pretty undesirable software on your computer and possibly even more than just one. I'd worry more about getting the machine clean before trying to install new drivers...

Winzip Registry Optimizer is malware that should be removed ASAFP, Rolex. Woodie is completely correct with this.

I'm sick. I ran my own licensed and purchased programs, then did a search on 'the best registry cleaner'. THIS IS WHAT I GOT? I actually researched and then installed a nasty virus? Repulsive.

I knew it couldn't be possible for another program to find all those problems after I already cleaned up, that's why I posted the screen shot.

Okay, I now have my laptop beside me and I'm about to use that to read the instructions while I clean this one out.

DAMN!!! DOUBLE DAMN!!! This is the one I built almost 2 years ago and I've never had a problem with it.

In the process of following the instructions on the laptop, I couldn't find the items I was supposed to delete. I was getting really frustrated when it dawned on me that I might have an "Easy Out" already installed in this computer.
Catchy name, for us RC guys, it's Revo Uninstaller Pro. I've used it about a dozen times in the last 2 years and it's extremely effective at TOTALLY removing programs. Using Windows uninstall there are always screen icons and empty or half empty folders floating around. The program is gone, but there's a lot of trash taking up space. You can go hunt, but you'll usually miss half of what's left behind.

What Revo Uninstaller does is remove the program, then show you what's still left behind. You select all, then click remove. It might do this twice, but when it's done you've cleaned out every iota of that program.
Many, many hours spent trying to correct a problem which lead to a MAJOR problem, then Revo did it all in under 5 minutes.

Revo Uninstaller Pro

When I first bought it I had no idea it would save my ass the way it did today. I highly recommend it.

Hey, does anyone know how I can get my F drive working?

Last edited:
Go into device manager and remove the drivers for the DVD-rom and then restart the computer. The machine will then reinstall the correct drivers and you should see it again. Assuming that your "F" drive was the DVD-Rom, that is.

Did you do a drive swap?
Yes, and then did a warp drive. Then someone said, "Let's do the time warp again."

Did you try turning it off and then back on?
I can't believe I never thought of that. :hehe:

Malwarebytes has been running a total system scan for over 4 hours, already, and so far it's still showing zero errors.

I know nothing of what you speak of, it all sounds like jibberish to me lol, but you got one sick lookin PC Ralph.

I'll have to show you its innards. I really had fun with that build.
@WoodiE, you really need to make note of Revo Uninstaller Pro. Take a good look at all the features that are built into it.
Last night I also ran the erase feature.
When you delete stuff, it's still in the computer taking up disc space. When you run the erase feature EVERYTHING you ever deleted is completely removed from the computer and can never be recovered. There's not a trace of that virus anywhere in here. Whew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes Revo Uninstaller is a nice piece of software for sure. It's one of the programs I carry around on my thumb drive.

In regards to "Registry Cleaners", in my opinion they are not worth the hassle. Many of them are not as they seem (see WinZip Registry Optimizer) or do more harm than good - but that's just me.

Isn't WinZip a registered Microsoft trademarked name?
I can't believe I was suckered into that without a warning.

if you can't get the drive working again setup a new user account and see if it shows up there. I've also done this to remove virus's that wouldn't show up on the normal account but were still there.

Isn't WinZip a registered Microsoft trademarked name?
I can't believe I was suckered into that without a warning.

WinZip the compression tool is owned by Corel.

In the process of following the instructions on the laptop, I couldn't find the items I was supposed to delete. I was getting really frustrated when it dawned on me that I might have an "Easy Out" already installed in this computer.
Catchy name, for us RC guys, it's Revo Uninstaller Pro. I've used it about a dozen times in the last 2 years and it's extremely effective at TOTALLY removing programs. Using Windows uninstall there are always screen icons and empty or half empty folders floating around. The program is gone, but there's a lot of trash taking up space. You can go hunt, but you'll usually miss half of what's left behind.

What Revo Uninstaller does is remove the program, then show you what's still left behind. You select all, then click remove. It might do this twice, but when it's done you've cleaned out every iota of that program.
Many, many hours spent trying to correct a problem which lead to a MAJOR problem, then Revo did it all in under 5 minutes.

Revo Uninstaller Pro

When I first bought it I had no idea it would save my ass the way it did today. I highly recommend it.

Hey, does anyone know how I can get my F drive working?

Is it the 2.5 or 3.3? :)