Need tape suggestion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CSDominion

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
The Spider mask I ordered wasn't what I was hoping for. I want to tape out a bunch of webs on various places. Whats the best tape for this kind of work. I will need to cross over a few places (might cut to ensure I dont have any bleeding) and it needs to make curves. Any suggestions?

It's tough to mask something like that the old fashioned way. I would suggest using liquid mask, then drawing your design on the outside and cutting out the web on the inside with an X-acto knife.
That way there's no bleeding under tape seams either.

Do you mean you want to paint a cobweb? For that, I'd pop on down to a fine arts store or auto body shop and get some fine (say..1/16 inch) detail tape. That should be narrow enough to give a neat design with nice cut edges to keep the paint crisp. If you're adventurous, just use some of your regular blue painter's tape. Lay a length on some glass. Then use a straightedge to cut some nice, thin strips.

Yeah I'm torn between the liquid mask and trying blue tape. This is my first body, and I probably shouldnt try webs (yeah cob web type) stuff for the first time. But I am adventurous :)

I'm going to be using a paint transfer from Jackal Hobbies. I was worried that the liquid mask would mess up the transfer so maybe I can mask the whole thing, cut out the transfer area and use tape behind the transfer.

Anyone know if the liquid mask will mess up the transfer or if the water from applying the transfer would mess up the mask?

(doing this with rattle cans, as I dont have an air brush, hence the use of the transfer) Yes I'm cheating :)

candyman has a good suggestion its easiest. I'm not too sure that there is a 1/16 inch tape. i am sure you can find 1/8 inch and its supereasy to use. make sure that all of the edges of it are suck donw good. before and after every coat is applied/dried.

ordered some liquid mask - will try that. I can test a bit of that transfer to see if the mask will mess with it or leave it alone.

Candyman does some really beautiful paint work, so go with his suggestions.
With the narrow masking tape, some brands are flexible and can make curves. others are rigid. Tell them what you need so you don't end up with something that won't work right.

I don't have one, but I seen on the paint corner in RC Car Action I believe, that there IS a double-bladed exacto made. Perfect for cutting even outlines, or your web I would think.

Might be hard to find, I didn't see one at Tower.

I like automotive pinstripe tape. i use it all the time. it's extremely versatile and leaves a super clean line. kinda pricey though.

Back