Need some high speed rated tires!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander_0_1

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads"
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys I'm just wondering what the on road guys use for tires, I'm looking for something with high grip, and a low ballooning factor, like the X0-1 tire but for a MERV.

check into some Foamies........

Ok foamies?...gotcha!, are there any corded or radial options?.....

I just ran a pair of those turnigy nano-tech 3s lipos on the merv and I noticed the front tires ballooning big time. And I completely finished off one of my stock diffs. I'm going to throw in another stock diff for the time being, as I'm waiting for the hot racing diffs to arrive in the mail.

Foamies have the ultimate grip, but short life on asphalt, it's a trade off if you want the best traction. A center diff will make a huge difference, and you can run standard 24mm touring car tires is soft / super soft compound, just re-gear for the size difference.

Also, still on stock diffs over 18 months later. What are you guys doing to kill those diffs? Lots of backflips? I wheelie mine like crazy, and beat on it hard, but no flips.

My excuse is not shimming my diffs, but the hot racing ones come with shim kits. I read somewhere that AE makes a shim kit that works on the MERV diffs....I don't know the part number though.

Also I've added a bit of weight to the MERV with the dirt hawgs, 4pcs t-bones racing chassis brace, dual lipos alloy push rods&toe links, GPM shocks, and its only gonna get heavier.

I like too many of those! It's too hard to choose.

I'm gonna try these out:

HPI. Vintage 5-Spoke Wheel, 26mm, Matte Chrome
HPI. Vintage 5-Spoke Wheel, 31mm, Matte Chrome (2sets)
HPI. Vintage Racing Tire, 31mm D-Compound (2sets)
HPI. Vintage Racing Tire 26mm D Compound

^these with a 1/16 boss mustang body I hope, nothing's arrived yet so I can't judge fit.^

Last edited:
Thanks for the help HPIguy, I'm only interested in those ipanema slicks and radials cause I started reading the customer testimonials on the ipanema webpage, and it sounds like GT cars and 1/10 touring cars can really move. So naturally I wanted to try them.

No problem, doesn't appear they're still in business. And don't be fooled by customer testimonials on a companies own website, look for unbiased reviews on forums from people that have used them. Touring cars can definitely move, when I started racing TC, it was like learning RC driving all over again. I miss racing TC's actually, it was tons of fun and really competitive.

BSR foams with a 35 shore or purple. On the ISC speed forums that's what I was told to run by Nic Case. The higher the shore the harder the foam and I think purple means hardest foam as well

http://johnsbsrracing.com/

I will order up a few set, you know for asphalt bashing, and high speed runs.

I ran foamies on my Mini 8ight the other day and they really turned it into a different car, these were just some chewed up "junk" ones that were left in the pits by the track. I've never run on a track before so my driving was pretty horrible but I still noticed a huge improvement, when I let my one of the guys there run it and he couldn't get over the handling. I'll give you warning though, this was on a smooth concrete track and the foam was chewed up pretty bad, I don't know how long they would last on a normal street.

20130923_103802_zps6d3c6975.gif