need little help tuning hpi pro 12R xs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petal2thametal

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hi guys.

iam passed the break in method and come to the part that i need to tune my engine for max performance.

first of all the manual settings said that the hs needle must be @ 6 1/4 turn.
when i try that, the engine wont even start. only starts when i lean it out.
anyone else had this problem??

second: when i got it started. WHAT NEXT ?? when i blimp the throttle the exhaust bogs (stotters) but with normal smoke comming out the exhaist.so i leaned out the low end needle but then there was excessive smoke when i blimp it again. manual says its to rich but i really lean it out. can't get to find the right settings.

can anyone tell me excectly what to do in detail.
plz tel me how you tune your engine, where do you start. wich things you keep in notice etc.

wil be most gratefull :cheers:

most of the time i find the the standard break in specs are wrong... and the reason why alot of smoke came out when u leaned it because you were cleaning out all the access stuff that was in there before you leaned it in the first place. Lean it out enough so it will run o.k. If your worried about the whole break in thing instead of going at full throttle go at like 1/2 to like 3/4 for a couple tanks then after that open it up abit and check ur temps freq and you should be fine (dont go over 260-275F)

ah i see. could be true cause i use after oil also. but does this only happens when you got the low end needle leaned out. cause it didnt happen when the needle was at basic setting.

and i have read that you should start with the low end needle to tune. but i need to start with the hs needle to get it starting and to keep it running. when i got it started i need to set the low end and then go back again to the high speed needle?

Last edited:
Put the nose of the truck against something firm so it can't get away from you. If you have an EZ start, keep it running while moving your LSN one way or the other till it starts to run.
Adjust your LSN and idle screw till it idles well and will run up to half throttle. (get it to running temp before you finalize any settings) When it idles properly, throttle it to half and see if it stalls or bogs down. If it stalls, it's too lean. If it bogs, it's too rich.
Now go to full throttle. This is when you adjust your HSN. Same thing. If it bogs, it's too rich, stalls, it's too lean.
When it seems to be running good, pinch the fuel line. It should speed up slightly and then stall within 3 - 4 seconds. If it stops quickly, your LSN is too lean. If it takes longer, the LSN is too rich.
Drive it for a while and then take a temp check to make sure it's at the proper temp. If it's too hot, richen the HSN.
You will have to make small adjustments on the HSN almost daily to compensate for outside temperature and humidity.

By the way, the factory settings are for break in, or a starting point if you really messed things up. Once an engine is broken in, don't expect it to run right by going to those settings.

ah thnx.. nice reply.

very usefull. gotta try tomorrow.
the settings were off right away. seems way to rich. didnt start with these settings.. come to think of it " maybe i should of started it at different setting and go back to what the manual says for break in". well doesn't mather now. i did it according to the head cycle method.

but thnx again :cheers: