Need help tuning clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyleb

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I bought this clutch kit
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...Racing-34mm-Quick-Change-4-Shoe-Clutch-System

I'm using a picco .28 and the throttle response is not
Very snappy. It takesquite a bit of throttle to engage. I'm using the second lightest springs (yellow) with no weights in the flywheel (19) grams. I can add up to 7 grams of weight to the flywheels. What would you guys suggest for a ballpark start?

I have no experience with that set up but i did have a similar issue with a set of OFNA pro aluminum shoes and heavy springs i installed on my friends OS .30vg in a savy x. At first it was not engaging very snappy so to speak during the first couple tanks of break in. But once the shoes got worn in after the fourth tank and performance tuning she snapped back. Maybe you just need to get a couple tanks thru her with the new set up for it to break in and start biting good.

Maybe I'll give it a few more tanks. In the manual it states that the rule of thumb is " the bigger the engine the softer the springs you use".

Well i personally run different spring rates depending on how the clutch engages off the line. I dont like for it to have too much slip and be sluggish out of the corners or on take off. I run a buku on my buggy so its really easy to adjust. On my tmaxx with the picco .26 i have a gpm flywheel and aluminum 3 shoe set with fairly light spring rate and it engages quickly but not so much that it walks with me with a high idle. I have grown to hate aluminum shoes lately due to the constant maintenance and mushrooming they do. So to stop it with my buku i just ordered a set of heavy composite shoes to try. Supposedly the heavier the shoe the better it grabs according to buku. Plus no more mushrooming and no wear to clutchbell from aluminum shoes.

I've got the m2c 3 shoe on my .26 max with the yellow springs and that takes a wee bit to spool and engage i would agree with z and give it another tank or 2 and if that dont sort it out maybe pop thte bell off and give the shoes a light scuff and check the bell for excess material

Hey chicken man have you added any weights to the flywheel?

Took the truck out last weekend and the clutch shoes are still slipping too much. It's not too bad on level ground but I really notice it while climbing a hill. I changed the springs out for weaker ones. That made a big difference but it's still not where I want it... Does anyone have any insight?

Kyleb, when I ran that clutch with a BB I had to install the shoes leading edge to get good snap off the line.

Nope I did nothing to it I bought my red dot from override and the clutch was setup already just needed to file off the burrs and away I went.i gotta she does snap off the line with the centre diff in she bakes the front wheels on take off then boogies , deff need some more drive time with picco to get that loosened up and dial everything in but after a gallon and a half she still got bulk pinch even with the head off