Need help selecting new nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00blkws6

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I am looking for a new engine for my Mayhem Pro 1/8 scale buggy. It is used only for bashing in a large open track and dirt drag strip so I'm not limited to only .21 engines even though I'm currently leaning that way. I currently have a Ofna Picco .27 which I'm very happy with, but I've had to put a lot of gear on the buggy to utilize the power (18T clutch bell) which has been tough on clutch shoes.

My budget is in the $250-300 range, but I'll spend a little more if it's really worth the extra $$$. I'd like to keep the punch of the .27, but I'm really looking for more RPM for some additional speed while using less gear (if that makes any sense). I pretty much want the most power and RPM I can get.

I have NOTHING to compare it to locally so I'm depending on other's personal experiences to help me out on this one. I've been looking at the following brands: RB, Crono, Rossi/NovaRossi.

Help me out guys!!!

In that range you can get a P5 or WS7 which are very popular on the track. They both have the power to clear doubles and triples that my picco .27 had trouble with.

I have a brand new P5N (last year's P5) waiting to be broken in if I ever get the time. I bought that one based upon suggestions here and at the track. It's probably one of if not the most widely used engine today.

Just curious, what clutch are you running on your buggy that is wearing your shoes so quickly. Have you tried aluminum shoes and different springs? Because for just a basher you might want to upgrade your clutch instead of buying a new engine.

If your limit is around 300 I would go with the new RB C5-BB. They say the low end is incredible, and screams like the c5 is known to scream.

With this being said, where do you want the power of the powerband to be? Low end, high end? This would help in pointing you in the right direction.

first off the 18t CB is what's killing your shoes...that's too much gear for any mill to pull w/ a buggy driveline.....drop to 16 and I bet you'll love that sucker all over again.....
BTW where in Raleigh is a track?
I'm up there every other week but haven't brought anything bigger than a RC18 to play with yet....I'm in chapel hill on Barbee church rd. if you know what's near that....

As far as tracks, my buddy as a setup in his "backyard" in Apex. It's basically a couple big doubles (about 50' apart), a couple of small singles, and a couple of BIG singles along with a dirt dragstrip. He has a small dozer that we change stuff up with during the day. If you're interested, you're more than welcome to come out with us. I can PM you some info. I'll try to post a couple of pics later on today.

I ran the 16T bell when I first put the engine in the buggy, it basically just roasted the tires off and had no speed to it at all. With the 18T it has a lot of speed but plenty of punch still. I already run aluminum shoes on it, but they need replacing after about 2 weeks of running around.

I plan on putting the .27 on a Truggy here in the next couple of weeks so I'll be needing something for this buggy.

sweetdiesel said:
In that range you can get a P5 or WS7 which are very popular on the track. They both have the power to clear doubles and triples that my picco .27 had trouble with.

I have a brand new P5N (last year's P5) waiting to be broken in if I ever get the time. I bought that one based upon suggestions here and at the track. It's probably one of if not the most widely used engine today.

Just curious, what clutch are you running on your buggy that is wearing your shoes so quickly. Have you tried aluminum shoes and different springs? Because for just a basher you might want to upgrade your clutch instead of buying a new engine.

I've been looking at both of those engines. I really wish someone around here had one that I could check out in person. I hate buying parts without seeing it run that's why I'm looking for some firsthand experience from someone that knows what they're talking about.

Well if you want to see a P5 in action give me a few weeks...I'll be slow enough w/ work to bring up a race setup and iI can show you the XB8 w/ a P5 in it......it's just all holeshot and a pretty good top end too.....How far is Apex from Chapel Hill?? Yeah definately PM some pics or post em....I'm interested....

I'd really like to see both the XB8 and the P5 in action to be honest. You'll probably be a little more "race ready" than we normally are, but it will still be fun.

Here are some pics:

IMG_0134.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

28DSC01002.JPG

IMG_0137.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good.....I'm trying to bring my mountain bike w/ me this trip and I have to fly the next 2 after so it will be a few weeks before I can get my gear up there for a week......
How far are you guys from UNC / Chapel Hill??

It's about 30 minutes from UNC...just South of Raleigh.