Need help deciding direction for Drag project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeJay

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Being that I’m a newbie to RC, is it worth building a drag car out of a donated Jato 3.3 that was converted to electric by the previous owner or start with something like a DR10 kit? Supposedly this car was capable of some great MPH but have no idea what to do with front and rear suspension. I’ll go through the donated box and make a list of what all I have a little later. But here’s what I’m starting with

Attachments

• FEFC5A77-ED5F-4671-A563-DE093A8FF990.jpeg
    FEFC5A77-ED5F-4671-A563-DE093A8FF990.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 79
  • E34DFA53-8C5E-4889-BC56-68A67B12F41B.jpeg
    E34DFA53-8C5E-4889-BC56-68A67B12F41B.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 62
if it was me id stay with the jato. add a nice set of jaco foams an let it rip.id also put solid aluminum bars to replace shocks...not sure what kind of DR you will be doing might want to get a copy of the rules 1st as that will give you some things you can't do...but Id go all out...1 of my drag cars. this is my fastest car yet ...

Attachments

• gtp v2 yell 2.jpg
    gtp v2 yell 2.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 61
Awesome! Thanks. Here are the initial rules:
"Sportsman"
This is an entry level class, any electric rc car/motorcycle is allowed. It is for anyone to race whatever they have, designed to bring people out and get a feel for no prep drag racing.

This is the main class we will be building around.
The Rules: 2021 update
“Street Outlaw “
1. Chassis: Short course-based chassis (2wd), 12-13.5 inch wheelbase (4wd not allowed, 4wd to 2wd conversion not allowed)
2. Motor: Any commonly over the counter RC car motor
3. Battery: 2 cells (8.44v max, single pack)
4. Tires: Rubber foam insert style rear and front tires, threaded or slick allowed. (No O-rings) running without foam insert allowed.
5. Shocks: Must have four shocks each controlling a wheel as intended by typical manufacturers. Connected and operating hinge pin arms at all four corners of the car. Shocks must have movement visible and acceptable by the race director. “No Tie Rods”.
6. Transmission: Car must use a 3-5 gear transmission (gear box) Belts or link conversions not allowed.
7. Weight: Cars ready to run must meet a 4.54lbs (72.6oz, 2060 grams) Minimum
8. Wheelie bar: May extend a maximum of 13” from the rear drive (CVA/Dog bone).
9. Body: Realism
Body must cover wheels (i.e. no buggies)
Wheel wells must be cut exposing 1/2 the wheel minimum.
10. Wings and things: Rear wings/spoilers may extend off the body’s rear deck a max of 3 inches.
Rear side dam may not be higher than the car roof line and can extend off the body’s rear deck a max of 3 inches.
Nose splitters may extend a max of 1/2” from the edge of the body.
11. Rear Body Cutouts: The rear section of the body (valance/bumper panel) may be removed but must retain the original rear side quarter fenders, trunk lid and/or pickup bed.
Rear spoilers supplied with a body are considered legal for that body in their intended design.
12. Body holes: Up to four (4) holes no larger than ½” at any location on the body are allowed. Window cut outs Not allowed.
13. Prep: Tire prep is allowed but a burn out is required before staging your car.

I'm not reading your rules.. I can see that jato is beyond the wheel base allowed.. so??

Back